Mazas Violin Etudes

Specific copyright information. If you're not sure if you can upload your score, ask it here first

Moderators: kcleung, Copyright Reviewers

violinexplorer
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Mazas Violin Etudes

Post by violinexplorer »

I need help understanding the copyright related question. I would like to record J.F. Mazas violin etudes for Violin solo and sell the records and I have no idea where to begin. Do I have to get a permission to do it? If so, does anyone know where and how to do this? I am specifically looking to obtain digital copyright permissions to post stuff on Youtube and monetize on it with Youtube partnership program.

Thank you very much for your input.

Best regards,

ViolinExplorer
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Re: Mazas Violin Etudes

Post by daphnis »

If you use public domain sheet music as the basis for your recordings, you're in the clear. Mazas died in 1849, so there aren't going to be any entities that still have a hand in his pockets by now.
violinexplorer

Post by violinexplorer »

I do indeed use the music that has been printed in Soviet Union in 1980s, and obviously doesn't say anything about the copyrights at all. I suppose that should be OK, right?

Thanks for your reply!
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

It was probably printed in the 1800s, so the copy you have (likely issued by Muzyka) probably falls under the urtext category and would therefore be public domain. Is there an editor associated with this copy? Keep in mind I'm not a copyright attorney and before embarking on any serious venture like the one you suggest, you might want to speak with one to confirm this.
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

Dear violinexplorer: you have posted this question in another forum as well, so since it's being dealt with here, I've deleted the other post.
bsteltz