Mendelssohn, Psalm 42, Breitkopf ed. 8074

Specific copyright information. If you're not sure if you can upload your score, ask it here first

Moderators: kcleung, Copyright Reviewers

Choralia
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Mendelssohn, Psalm 42, Breitkopf ed. 8074

Post by Choralia »

The edition in subject is a 55-page vocal score with piano reduction by the composer, supposedly urtext. A commentary on the score is dated spring 1988. Worldcat reports 1988 as its publication date, but also 1979 for the same edition number (8074), albeit with a different number of pages (43 rather than 55). I'm not sure whether this score is to be considered published in 1979 (i.e., urtext protection expired already everywhere in Europe) or in 1988 (i.e., urtext protection will expire at the end of 2013 in most EU countries - expired already in Italy where I live). Any hints?

Max
kalliwoda
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Re: Mendelssohn, Psalm 42, Breitkopf ed. 8074

Post by kalliwoda »

The 43 page piano reduction (1979/1980) has the same page layout as the first edition from 1838.
I had a look at this http://musikipac.staatsbibliothek-berli ... 1&cop=:osy and it is definetely only a reprint, just has german text, and an "error listing" on a separate loose page which was glued in in this library copy.
The crucial question would be, if your later edition just added german and english commentary to account for the increased page count, or if the music is a new typeset. Unfortunately, I could not find a copy of a newer edition anywhere here in Berlin, also an argument that it may not be a new edition.
Choralia
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Mendelssohn, Psalm 42, Breitkopf ed. 8074

Post by Choralia »

Thank you very much for checking the 1979/80 edition. If such an edition is a reprint of the 1838 version, I think that the edition of 1988 is a new typeset: its print quality is pretty good, much better than the typical print quality of the previous century. This is actually the reason why I considered to uplaod it: it's much better quality than the old Novello vocal score available already on IMSLP.

Anyway, I've uploaded it already, as it is public domain in my country (Italy - 20 years protection for urtext editions) and there is no protection for urtext editions in Canada (IMSLP applies a 25 year term as a courtesy to publishers). I've not tagged it for copyright status yet, so that other copyright reviewers can check it and confirm my opinion, i.e., that it's a new typeset. If so, it will have to stay [TB] until the end of 2013. It can be made available through the EU server then.

Max