domenico modugno - nel blu dipinto di blu - volare

Specific copyright information. If you're not sure if you can upload your score, ask it here first

Moderators: kcleung, Copyright Reviewers

sonnyinc@mac.com
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

domenico modugno - nel blu dipinto di blu - volare

Post by sonnyinc@mac.com »

hey

i'm a student and making a documentary( non profit) about a gondola-builder in venice and would like to use domenico's 'volare'( recorded in 1958) in it.
i was searching the internet for information about who owns the rights for his songs, but did not suceeded.
does anyone of you have an idea about where to get such information or the permission for it? do i absolutely need a permission if i want to use it or is there a backdoor?

cheers matt
steltz
active poster

Re: domenico modugno - nel blu dipinto di blu - volare

Post by steltz »

You absolutely do need permission to use it: Modugno died in 1994. His estate is entitled to income from this song until 2045 (Canada) or 2065 (Europe).
bsteltz
sonnyinc@mac.com

Post by sonnyinc@mac.com »

i'm really trying to find out who own's the rights right know, but it's kind of hard to do. i was searching for it yesterday like all day long, but didn't found out. does any of you have an idea of where to find such information?
Choralia
Site Admin

Post by Choralia »

In most countries, permission for music played in public performances or used in movies, documentaries, etc., can be obtained from the local collecting agency (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_collective), without you need to contact or even determine who is the owner of the rights. The local collecting agency will collect money from you, and will pay the applicable quota to the copyright holder (possibly through another collecting agency if the copyright holder is located in another country). So, I would suggest you to contact your local collecting agency (e.g., AKM in Austria).

Max