Copyright validation

Specific copyright information. If you're not sure if you can upload your score, ask it here first

Moderators: kcleung, Copyright Reviewers

8ro8be
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Copyright validation

Post by 8ro8be »

New user here... Is there an expert out there that could help me validate my understanding of the copyright rules described on IMSLP pages ? I would like to avoid scanning pages not relevant. Two files attached (couldn't attach anything else than those screenshots, sorry), which is a partial list of what I would post.

Tks and rgds.
Attachments
Sheets
Sheets
2.jpg (360.97 KiB) Viewed 3743 times
Books
Books
1.jpg (249.78 KiB) Viewed 3743 times
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Re: Copyright validation

Post by KGill »

General rule: if the composer died over 50 years ago and it was published over 50 years ago, it's OK to upload. If the edition lists an editor, than you also have to make sure the editor died over 50 years ago...unless you think it is an urtext edition (i.e., nothing looks like it would have been added by a 20th-century editor, like fingerings/bowings/extra dynamics/etc.). Glancing at your list it looks like most of them should be fine (also make sure we don't already have these editions), but I would check the ones with more recent dates.
8ro8be

Post by 8ro8be »

Many thanks for the extra tips, KGill, I'll do the necessary research.

Best rgds.
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

You might also want to check the quality of a scan if we do have something on your list. Having come across some pretty bad scans yesterday, I am going to try to find some of the pieces to see if I can do an improved scan to upload.
bsteltz
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

The only name that stuck out to me on your list as being under copyright was Henri Büsser, who lived until 1973. We already have a fair number of the items listed, so be sure that what you're uploading is a better scan or image than what is already on the site.