Salieri Opera Aria

Specific copyright information. If you're not sure if you can upload your score, ask it here first

Moderators: kcleung, Copyright Reviewers

lameloy@aol.com
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Salieri Opera Aria

Post by lameloy@aol.com »

I need to check the status of an aria from Salieri's opera, Europa riconosciuta: Quando piu irato freme. I have a photocopy of the piano/vocal score for this aria, acquired when I was asked to learn the music for an audition. The score belonged to La Scala, and was reproduced from Salieri's original sketches when the company revived the opera for their 2004 re-opening.

I have received a request from another singer, someone I do not know personally, to email her a scan of my photocopy. Would I be violating La Scala's copyright on this music if I did so? Or is the entire work in the 'public domain' as Salieri has been dead for the required length of time? What rules does this music fall under? As far as I can make out, La Scala have not 'published' the opera for sale in any music shop / sheet music website, etc., but have re-created the score for their own production, and would be able to rent out the scores & orchestra parts to other companies wishing to produce the opera, if any. Does this mean they own the publisher's copyright? I am presuming that the singer who asked for the music wants the aria for her own study: would this fall within the rules as 'fair usage'? And would it be legit then to upload the aria to IMSLP for everyone to use? I see that there has been a request for this music on the 'wish list'.

Thanks for any help you can offer!
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Re: Salieri Opera Aria

Post by daphnis »

If it was merely copied by La Scala from the composer's sketches, then they have no copyright claim. If they attempted to do so anyhow, which happens frequently, their claim is fraudulent.
lameloy@aol.com

Post by lameloy@aol.com »

Thanks! That helps.
LMeloy

Post by LMeloy »

NB: I am no longer able to provide copies of this aria, however, the score now seems to be available in public libraries.
Sorry, and good luck!
raquelantunes

Post by raquelantunes »

Hi there!
Im trying to find this Salieri´s opera for years.
Do anyone has "nume respiro...ah, lo sento" from l´Europa Riconosciuta?
MorenaFlorSoprano

Post by MorenaFlorSoprano »

Hi Raquel, Hi people, I have two news - A good and a bad one: I found the score of this opera in this link (it's a manuscript) - the aria "Numi, respito"/"Ah lo sento" is from p. 147 to 171. :wink: :)

At least I can try to make a vocal score of this aria and post on IMSLP wiki, because the orchestration is more simple, therefore it is not sooo difficult to reduce to piano score... :roll:

The aria "Quanto piu irato freme" I am searching yet, because the manuscript of the link seems to be incomplete :( (but I will not give up) :!: . When I find the score of this aria, I will post in the IMSLP wiki too. :idea:
MorenaFlorSoprano

Post by MorenaFlorSoprano »

Oh sorry, this is the link.

https://digital.onb.ac.at/RepViewer/vie ... iew=SINGLE

Aria "Numi, respiro"/"Ah lo sento" - Pgs 147 - 171
Lou

Post by Lou »

@MorenaFlorSoprano,
Thanks for posting the link to the manuscript! Did you ever end up reducing it to a piano score? If you did, I’d like to get my hands on Numi, Respiro somehow! I would be happy to buy a PDF version from you.