Janacek, Martinu and Humperdinck

Specific copyright information. If you're not sure if you can upload your score, ask it here first

Moderators: kcleung, Copyright Reviewers

m.kowalski49
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Janacek, Martinu and Humperdinck

Post by m.kowalski49 »

I have found in the massive collection of music I inherited has a complete set of Parts to:

Janacek's Taras Bulba, Edition Praha, reprint Universal Wien (questionable because of UE copyright claims and such)

Martinu Les Parables (Edwin F. Kalmus edition)

Humperdincks Hansel and Gretel (Edwin F. Kalmus edition)

The Martinu and Humperdinck are obviously reprints, so are most-likely eligible for upload

I just want to know about the Janacek. I will get the details of the Edition and Copyright etc..

mk.49
Carolus
Site Admin

Re: Janacek, Martinu and Humperdinck

Post by Carolus »

The Janacek is a very complicated case. Taras Bulba was first published in 1925 in the form of a piano-duet arrangement, which was actually renewed. The full score didn't appear until 1927. Kalmus has shied away from reprinting this, even though the full score was reprinted in 1948 without a notice. You can post it in any case, since the work is clearly free in both Canada and the EU. The ambiguity lies in the work's status in the USA. I assume here that the Taras Bulba you have is the 1927 edition from Hudebni Matice or its co-issue by UE (which might open up some more copyright questions). The much newer critical edition from the 1990s is not eligible.
m.kowalski49
active poster

Post by m.kowalski49 »

Yes, I have the co-issue by UE. I will hold off on the Janacek until we can figure whether or not the statutory copyright notice on it is clear for upload.

I am in the process of uploading now as we speak the Humperdinck

mk.49
m.kowalski49
active poster

Post by m.kowalski49 »

I will upload the Percussion parts at a later date.

Unfortunately they came out in a tiff format, and I really don't have time to deal with conversions etc.. I will rescan them this weekend.

I really hope someone does not need these..

mk.49
Falla_Fan

Post by Falla_Fan »

I'm located in the U.S. and have been unsuccessful in locating Janacek's Taras Bulba. The score is available for purchase, but I cannot locate the orchestra parts. If the O.P. could please post the orchestra parts, that would be much appreciated.
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

Taras Bulba is one of those works whose copyright status in the USA is quite uncertain, as explained above. Since neither Kalmus or Lucks have reprinted this piece, parts are not easy to come by at all.
m.kowalski49
active poster

Post by m.kowalski49 »

@Falla_Fan

I can not post the parts I have until I have clearance from a copyright reviewer. Until then, good luck on loacating these parts.

If I had the original issue from, Edition Supraphon, Praha. That would be a different story.

Since, Universal-Edition, are very strict in owning intellectual rights. IMSLP will get buggered again.

-mk.49
Rose_corinne

Post by Rose_corinne »

Hello,
Could you post the Humperdinck percussion parts? Thank you!!