Les Contes d'Hoffmann, 1977 vocal score

Specific copyright information. If you're not sure if you can upload your score, ask it here first

Moderators: kcleung, Copyright Reviewers

haydenmuhl
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Les Contes d'Hoffmann, 1977 vocal score

Post by haydenmuhl »

There is an edition of Les Contes d'Hoffmann from 1977 edited by Fritz Oeser. It has some numbers in it that were omitted from earlier editions of the work. I have seen several people asking for the Violin Aria in particular, and thought it might be a good candidate to post in IMSLP.

Here is a link to the listing at UC Berkeley.

http://oskicat.berkeley.edu/record=b10304771~S1
Classical Voices - a forum for classical singers
Carolus
Site Admin

Re: Les Contes d'Hoffmann, 1977 vocal score

Post by Carolus »

If this is an urtext type edition, it should be OK in the EU and Canada. The chief issue with a vocal score is who created the piano reduction? If the Baerenreiter reproduced the older arrangement made by August Bazille (1828-1891), there should be no problem. If Oeser actually made a new piano reduction, it is an arrangement and does not fall under the urtext rule of EU copyright.
haydenmuhl
active poster

Post by haydenmuhl »

I think this score contains pieces that earlier scores don't. I don't know if they're newly discovered, or just not regularly published. I would expect that at the very least these arias have new piano reductions. That probably makes them a no-go.
Classical Voices - a forum for classical singers
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

I know the history of that piece is rather complicated and confusing. Choudens issued at least two different vocal scores before the one commonly found today appeared in 1906 or so.