Goedicke/Gedike, op.28 Two Pieces

Specific copyright information. If you're not sure if you can upload your score, ask it here first

Moderators: kcleung, Copyright Reviewers

steltz
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Goedicke/Gedike, op.28 Two Pieces

Post by steltz »

I have this work, for clarinet and piano, but each movement has a different publishing date. The no.1 Nocturne is 1929, so in respect of that, I guess the question is, did Muzgiz renew the copyright at 28 years, i.e. 1957? If not, could this go on the US server?

And the no.2 Etude, although the second of the set, has a date of 1921. Presumably this means it can go on the US server now?

I suppose that also raises the question of whether the 1929 Nocturne is a reprint, and was originally published in 1921, but if there was no copyright renewal, is that even relevant for the US server?
bsteltz
Carolus
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Goedicke/Gedike, op.28 Two Pieces

Post by Carolus »

US server not necessary because Gedike died in 1957 and is therefore free in Canada. As for USA status, there will be no renewal on the 1929 publication - which did not have a proper notice to begin with (Muzyka didn't even begin to put notices on things until 1974, and even then in the wrong format and place). The issue with the 1929 item is GATT and the NIE filing. Gedike was pretty well covered by these as I recall, but it would still be worth checking. Worst case for that piece is the notorious TB jail. As you mentioned, the 1921 item is absolutely free in the USA, so no problem with it at all.