Music on a Marianne Moore's Poem

Specific copyright information. If you're not sure if you can upload your score, ask it here first

Moderators: kcleung, Copyright Reviewers

vagaus82
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Music on a Marianne Moore's Poem

Post by vagaus82 »

Dear Sirs,

I am thinking about uploading a composition of mine, written on a poem by Marianne Moore, "He made this screen". I used the version published in 1921 by "The Egoist Press". It is a short miniature for voice and piano. The poem is easiliy accessible on archive.org, and as you can see is published before 1923. I would need to know if this is a sufficient reason not to consider it infringement of copyright laws, or an action could be taken instead, however, or even I can't publicate on IMSLP. Paradoxically, if i didn't get bad, bigger problems I could have in Italy, where I live? More, maybe someday I could think to introduce that "album leaf" coupled with other compositions upon Italian verses by poets died less than 70 years ago.. Please, could you help me with an [of course] kind and authoritative answer?

Yours Sincerely

Francesco Massimi
cypressdome
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Music on a Marianne Moore's Poem

Post by cypressdome »

Because Marianne Moore died in 1972 her works are still under copyright protection in Canada until January 1, 2023 (50 years post-mortem) and in the European Union until January 1, 2043 (70 years post-mortem). Her works published prior to 1923 are in the public domain in the United States which is why it was made available on archive.org. Your work that includes her text can only be uploaded to IMSLP's main server (locate in Canada) if you have the consent of the copyright owner of Moore's works.

Cypressdome