Ferrabosco on CPLD

Specific copyright information. If you're not sure if you can upload your score, ask it here first

Moderators: kcleung, Copyright Reviewers

mdenteuling
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Ferrabosco on CPLD

Post by mdenteuling »

After a week on my "own" user page I got no reaction on the following question.
"I prepared an edition of Domenico Maria Ferrabosco, Io mi son giovinetta, based on a source file of the piece in CPLD by the American Brent Alexko, who used Sibelius like I do. It saved a lot of work to me. It is now ready for uploading. Only afterwards, because we are used to have all material in the public domain, I noticed that mr Alexko had reserved the copyright in CPLD. Alexko's and my edition of the piece are completely different and Brent's work is even unrecognizable in mine. Of course I tried to find an e-mail adress of his, but failed as he apparently has died a few years ago. I did not upload it as yet in IMSLP, because I like to know your opinion on the subject. I have now put the following statement as a note to the score:
"I made this edition from the source file of Brent Alexko´s edition in CPLD. He died in 2008. If his heirs have objections to my use, I invite them to contact me. As a homage to mr. Alexko I kept his translation of the Italian text. I transposed the piece to its original key, G Doric. The original clefs are G2, C2, C3 and F3, so these are high clefs or chiavette. This means that the piece should be performed one fourth down, alla quarta bassa. I compared the accidentals and the notes with the edition by R. Charteris in CMM 102 (1992). From this edition I corrected some cadence notes, especially the final bass note (one octave up). I minimized the use of accidentals comparing the Cantus part with the two-part arrangement by Jan Pieterszoon Sweelinck in Rimes Françoises et Italiennes, Leiden 1612 (also in IMSLP). There exists a lute transcription by Vincenzo Galilei, but I did not consult it."
Do you consider this acceptable? The alternative is -besides remaking the score- to remove every reference to mr Alexko and to substitute the translation for my own (which is inferior to the one of a native speaker). For myself I would prefer to keep the edition as it now stands, including the note on the source file."
In the meantime I uploaded the score on my own site home.planet.nl/~teuli049, so if you want you may compare both scores. I like to upload them on IMSLP because I am used to this site and because I also made my usual arrangements.
Arnold den Teuling