John Dowland lute song transcriptions

Specific copyright information. If you're not sure if you can upload your score, ask it here first

Moderators: kcleung, Copyright Reviewers

haydenmuhl
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

John Dowland lute song transcriptions

Post by haydenmuhl »

I have two volumes of lute songs by John Dowland transcribed for piano. The source material is certainly public domain, but I'm not sure about the transcription. The copyright date on the transcriptions is 1925. This may be problematic for US copyright, but the preface states the following.
The original accompaniment, literally translated from the lute-tablature, is given here without any variation. (...)

The original barring is not invariably retained, but the editor has adhered to the the principle of irregular baring as found int the original editions.

The marks of expression are added by the editor, and may be observed or disregarded at individual discretion. Those given here apply only to the first verse of each song.
The listed editor, Edmund Horace Fellows, died in 1951 according to VIAF.
Classical Voices - a forum for classical singers
Carolus
Site Admin

Re: John Dowland lute song transcriptions

Post by Carolus »

The transcription from lute tablature to grand-staff keyboard notation is not protectable. The added expression indications might be. US status will have to be checked, but I think Fellows let a number of things slide.
haydenmuhl
active poster

Post by haydenmuhl »

IIRC, I have to check 28 years after publication for the renewal notice?

The copyright is 1925, so 28 years later would bie 1953. To be thorough, I checked '52, '53, and '54. I didn't see any record for "Fifty songs selected from the works of John Dowland." Is there anything else I need to check?
Classical Voices - a forum for classical singers
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

Actually, the search engine on the archive.org pages is pretty good, so I would do simple search of "Fellowes" also