Tantum Ergo by Giuseppe Rossi

Specific copyright information. If you're not sure if you can upload your score, ask it here first

Moderators: kcleung, Copyright Reviewers

Quisque
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Tantum Ergo by Giuseppe Rossi

Post by Quisque »

I would like to submit the score for Tantum Ergo by Giuseppe Rossi (library record: http://goo.gl/LF8fwx), but I'm uncertain about its copyright status.
According to the plate number, E. 130 C., I can guess it has been published long before 1923: Editore Marcello Capra, as far as I know, has indeed begun activity in 1906. I don't have any further information about the composer.

Thanks in advance!
Carolus
Site Admin

Re: Tantum Ergo by Giuseppe Rossi

Post by Carolus »

There should be no problem as far as USA status is concerned. The biggest problem I can see is trying to identify the composer. MusicSack lists no less than six Giuseppe Rossi names. The Italian library you linked to appears to have mis-identified the composer of this piece (from late 19th or early 20th century) with a music critic active in the mid-to-late 20th century. If the composer died after 1963, there is a problem as our main server is in Canada, with a 50 pma copyright term. Yet another example of why dates are increasingly important.
Choralia
Site Admin

Post by Choralia »

The fact that this work is available at the "Biblioteca dell'Istituto internazionale don Bosco" might be significant. In 1907 Giovanni Battista Lemoyne wrote that around 1858 Don Bosco wrote himself a "simple Tantum Ergo", which was supposed to be still available at the Musical Archive of Don Bosco's Oratory. I wonder if this printed edition was originated from Don Bosco's score, erroneously attributed to Giuseppe Rossi who was one of Don Bosco's main collaborators.

Max
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »