Strauss Sonatine No. 1 TrV 288 Boosey and Hawkes edition

Specific copyright information. If you're not sure if you can upload your score, ask it here first

Moderators: kcleung, Copyright Reviewers

Sallen112
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Strauss Sonatine No. 1 TrV 288 Boosey and Hawkes edition

Post by Sallen112 »

I would like to request to see if the Boosey and Hawkes edition is uploadable to the Canadian server as there is no score of this work on IMSLP yet. I think it probably is public domain in Canada but not in the US or EU yet. Here is the info about it:

Published 1964 by Boosey and Hawkes
HPS 757

There is a Preface in German, English and French written by a Dr. Willi Schuh. Would this preface be in Public Domain or not? If not can I include in the upload the Title Page along with the instrumentation page?

Just to be safe which administrator should I send this score to for uploading through a public domain server?

Thanks
Sallen4
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Re: Strauss Sonatine No. 1 TrV 288 Boosey and Hawkes edition

Post by daphnis »

This is the chamber piece better know as "From an invalid's workshop" that was written in 1943. It's a marvelous work for winds. I think it was only first published in 1964, which means it wouldn't be public domain in Canada until January first of 2015, and even then it almost certainly means the text preface (Schuh died in 1986) would have to be removed.
Sallen112
active poster

Post by Sallen112 »

Darn I wish i could upload it now, will wait until next year then! It is a great work, really like the piece and is the reason I wanted to upload it!

Strauss's other Sonatine in E flat is up on the site. How can that piece be up on the site? Does that piece have a earlier publishing date?
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

If you mean the wind serenade in E-flat, then that's because it was first issued in 1882 and so has been public domain for quite some time in the US (it became public domain in Canada only in 2000).
Sallen112
active poster

Post by Sallen112 »

Sorry Sonatine No. 2 in E flat, TrV 291, the one composed in 1945 is the one I mean't.
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

Because that piece was first published in 1952, more than 50 years ago. For more information on what is and isn't public domain, have a look at this article: http://imslp.org/wiki/Public_domain
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

For Richard Strauss (or any composer who died before 1997), the 50-year term of first-publication in Canada applies only to items that were never performed, recorded or "delivered" (broadcast) during the composer's lifetime. The 50-year clock moreover starts running the date such an item is first performed, recorded or delivered. For a composer of Strauss' fame, the likelihood of something being literally unperformed is very slim.
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

Right, forgot about that condition in Canada. In that case, the score is then likely public domain because the first performance of the piece came on 18 June 1944 at a concert of the Dresden Musicians Union conducted by Karl Elmendorff. (Source: CD program notes written by Stephan Kohler to "Richard Strauss: Complete Music for Winds and Brass, Vol. 1", Arts label, catalog 47395-2, published 1997.)

With this being the case, I'd say go ahead and upload the score. It won't be available for download to US- or Europeans, but it will to Canadians.