Stephen Heller Op. 125 (PETERS)

Specific copyright information. If you're not sure if you can upload your score, ask it here first

Moderators: kcleung, Copyright Reviewers

ALPI
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Stephen Heller Op. 125 (PETERS)

Post by ALPI »

Hi everyone !

I used to use iMSLP for years now and i'd like to bring my little contribution to this giantic library.
So i propose to upload my scan of "24 Etudes d'expression et de rythme" for piano by S. Heller.
I'm pretty sur it's ok, but i'd like someone to confirm. So here's what i know about the sheet :

- "24 Etudes d'expression et de rythme dédiées à la jeunesse" By Heller (1813-1888)
- Revised and corrected By Robert Teichmüller (1863-1939)
- Editor (Peters) ref-number : 4364
- Plate number : 10898

Unlucily, i can't find any date of publication on the sheet or any copyright (Which could be a fine thing, actually :D )

Also, I noticed that Op. 45 by Heller is on IMSLP (Peters - By Teichmüller)

So I suppose it's ok, isn't it ?

Thanks for your answers.

ALPI

PS : For those who would like to google-it or else, there actually a mistake on the cover. It says "24 Etudes mélodiques", but it's indeed "24 Etudes d'expression et de rythme" inside.
jossuk
active poster

Re: Stephen Heller Op. 125 (PETERS)

Post by jossuk »

But the op. 45 item looks to be non-PD in the US. Aren't the etudes you are asking about op. 125?
ALPI

Post by ALPI »

Sorry, I might have misspoken.

I'd like to upload Op. 125. I just notices that op. 45 is in PD (except for US). So I suppose Op. 125 has the same conditions. Am I wrong ?
Of course, "Non-PD in US" will have to be noticed for Op. 125.

Thank you.

ALPI
jossuk
active poster

Post by jossuk »

You didn't misspeak; I just wanted to clarify the opus number, and to mention that if the op. 45 (plate #10875) wasn't PD everywhere, then the op. 125 (plate #10898) would likely have the same status. The very able IMSLP moderators should be most helpful with your query.
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

This is one of those instances where I suspect copyfraud on Peters' part. They issued lots of things in this era (1920s through 1945) without a copyright notice. When they reprinted them later on, the notice was added (as in the example up on the Op.45 page at present). So, if you happen to come across an older, yellowed printing from back in the 1930s without a copyright notice, it is actually free in the USA and it moreover does not qualify for GATT/TRIPs restoration. Right now, the copy with the notice is all we have to go on.