Savard's Morceau de Concours

Specific copyright information. If you're not sure if you can upload your score, ask it here first

Moderators: kcleung, Copyright Reviewers

ctesibius
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Savard's Morceau de Concours

Post by ctesibius »

Augustin Savard (1861-1942) wrote his Morceau de concours for trumpet and piano in 1903.
Leducs' edition has a (C) 1955 mark, 13 years after the composer's death.
Is the piece now in public domain (>70 years) or protected.
Thanks

worldcat entry
https://www.worldcat.org/title/morceau- ... ef_results

Ctesibius
Sallen112
active poster

Re: Savard's Morceau de Concours

Post by Sallen112 »

You would have to find out when the first edition is of this piece. If it was first published during his lifetime, then yes it would be PD in the EU (this would probably be considered a reissuing maybe). If the publication was published for the first time posthumously, then no it would be PD in Canada only (life + 50 years).
Choralia
Site Admin

Post by Choralia »

Sallen112 wrote:If the publication was published for the first time posthumously, then no it would be PD in Canada only (life + 50 years).
Is this because you envisage that some form of "Editio princeps" applies? This shouldn't be the case, as "Editio princeps" only applies to works published after copyright has expired. I think this work is PD in EU also.

Max
Sallen112
active poster

Post by Sallen112 »

Since I am not a big expert on copyright, the issue I am seeing from the OP for PD-EU (that I understand) is since the composer died in 1942 BUT he didn't provide the first publication and we don't know if the piece was published during his lifetime, its possible the 1955 mark IS the first edition Posthumously speaking. We would have to look up this piece online. I am guessing it would probably be PD in the US here (published before 1923) but we can't assume that if it might be published after 1923.
Choralia
Site Admin

Post by Choralia »

A first publication is considered posthumous (and then "edition princeps" applies from a copyright viewpoint) when it is done after the normal copyright term (see here). So, this work shouldn't be regarded as posthumous in EU, IMO.

Max
ctesibius
active poster

Post by ctesibius »

Thanks all for the interesting discussion.

I found out the piece was originally published in 1903 (Paris : Evette et Schaeffer, [1903])
https://www.worldcat.org/title/morceau- ... ef_results
So, it is in PD.

Ctesibius
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

You know it's actually against the law in the USA to print something with a fraudulent claim of copyright? There has never been a prosecution as far as I know but it's actually in the statute. Funny how that works.....