Boismortier Cello Concerto

Specific copyright information. If you're not sure if you can upload your score, ask it here first

Moderators: kcleung, Copyright Reviewers

Generoso
active poster

Boismortier Cello Concerto

Post by Generoso »

I would like to know if it is OK to upload the Concerto by ?

Boismortier, Joseph Bodin de
edited by Ruf, Hugo
Konzert D-Dur
für Violoncello oder Viola da Gamba oder Fagott, Streicher u. Basso continuo,
Lörrach/Baden (1956)
Deutscher Ricordi Verlag, G. Ricordi & Co., Lörrach/Bd
©1956 by Deutscher Ricordi Verlag.

Thanks
Carolus
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Carolus »

You need to check for the type of editing done by Ruf. If it is an urtext-type edition, it should be OK to post. Ruf was active well into the 1970s, so it would NOT be OK if the edition had a lot of original contribution (added fingerings, articulations, dynamics) from Ruf.
Generoso
active poster

Post by Generoso »

This is a score only and there are no fingerings. I shall then upload it and you can see. Thanks!
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

I'm glad you uploaded it. This raises an very interesting question about copyright on editions. One the one hand, it's fairly obvious that this 1956 edition is very much in the urtext camp - except for one thing. There is a continuo realization. It's in small notes, to be sure, but it is most likely the work of Hugo Ruf rather than the composer or an 18th century contemporary.

I'd be interested in some opinions on this. It strikes me that a continuo realization is a little beyond the notion of an insufficiently original addition that has been described in a US court decision as "an improvement any half-way trained mechanic could make" when deciding a patent case. Of course, the more "conservative" such a realization is, the less "original" it is as well.

It is interesting to not that the Bavarian State Library has posted this item for free viewing (if not actual download). Does this fall under Section 70 of the German law?
Lyle Neff
active poster

Post by Lyle Neff »

Could the Ruf edition be made acceptable if the continuo realization were whited out?
panda
forum adept
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by panda »

As a continuo player myself, I feel that there is a significant degree of creativity (not to mention a great deal of time) required in developing a realisation - I would agree that it goes well beyond the 'mechanical' in nature.