May I upload this vocal score?

Specific copyright information. If you're not sure if you can upload your score, ask it here first

Moderators: kcleung, Copyright Reviewers

coulonnus
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

May I upload this vocal score?

Post by coulonnus »

I have a 1968 vocal score of https://imslp.org/wiki/Te_Deum_in_D_maj ... _Frideric)

Its introduction says: "the keyboard part given in this score does not purport to be anything but an outline, derived from the orchestral score, affording support for rehearsal purposes".

Is this keyboard part an arrangement or may I upload it? There is already a vocal score of this work.
Sallen112
active poster

Re: May I upload this vocal score?

Post by Sallen112 »

Give us some more details regarding the arranger, but voices with piano reduction are considered to be vocal scores anyway.
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

Watkins Shaw. I can't seem to find his life dates. You can see the cover here: https://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/ut ... c/16647327
Sallen112
active poster

Post by Sallen112 »

1911-1996, most likely not eligible: https://viaf.org/viaf/51740222/#Shaw,_W ... _1911-1996
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

Sallen112 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:29 am Give us some more details regarding the arranger, but voices with piano reduction are considered to be vocal scores anyway.
But then is a vocal score copyrighed like all works or is it simply an Urtext? How come we have a vocal score from a 1903-1976 editor at present for this work?
Sallen112
active poster

Post by Sallen112 »

Most likely that is a new engraved edition of a public domain vocal score, which would be classified under the urtext rule then. Maybe it was done by Handel possibly. The editor's additions to the score would not be significant enough for copyright protection then because they most likely only did a preface to it, which had to be removed from the upload. Also a copyright renewal was probably not found for the USA protection.
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

If it’s playable on piano, no, I doubt it’s a reprint of Händel. Even if Händel filled in the bass (which I doubt; in his day this was something it was assumed you did at sight during performance) it would have been done in a manner suitable for existing instruments- harpsichord, organ.. when Busoni makes his concert arrangements for the modern piano they are not small changes...