Can I upload this? (editor unknown)

Specific copyright information. If you're not sure if you can upload your score, ask it here first

Moderators: kcleung, Copyright Reviewers

Sebastian
regular poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Can I upload this? (editor unknown)

Post by Sebastian »

Composer: P.E. Lange-Müller (died 1926)
Year of publication: 1925, apparently no reprints since then
Editor: unknown
Publisher: Wilhelm Hansen / Nordis Musik-forlag
Copyright: unknown

Hi

I'd like to scan and post some piano pieces by P.E. Lange-Müller. The composer died in 1926, but I'm unable to find the name of the editor. There's a chance that the composer himself is the editor, but how do I know for sure? The volume contains no names or dates. I doubt the publisher would mind if I just uploaded it anyway (it's no longer sold anyway!), but I'd like to be on the safe side.

Any hints on what to do?

More specifically it's the works Danse og intermezzi op. 49, Syv Skovstykker op. 56 and Dæmpede melodier op. 68, 118 pages in total, that I'd like to scan.
Carolus
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Carolus »

There probably isn't an editor, or a maybe at most an anonymous editor who was an employee of Hansen. Works published when the composer was alive were often issued under the composer's supervision by the era of Lange-Muller. It gets more complicated the farther back one goes in history, since works were often produced in different countries or even cities without any approval or authorization of the composer thanks to the non-existence of copyright laws.

There should be no problem with posting his works here, unless you run across a modern edition produced with a program like Finale or Sibelius.
Sebastian
regular poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by Sebastian »

Ok, thanks. I'll start scanning then :-).