Jeppesen “Counterpoint” book

Specific copyright information. If you're not sure if you can upload your score, ask it here first

Moderators: kcleung, Copyright Reviewers

jcbernstein
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Jeppesen “Counterpoint” book

Post by jcbernstein »

Wondering why uploading this to IMSLP is restricted. There is a Dover reprint already - I thought this generally meant the original was out of copyright.
cypressdome
active poster

Re: Jeppesen “Counterpoint” book

Post by cypressdome »

Uploading to Knud Jeppesen's category is restricted because he died less than 50 years ago (1974) and, therefore, his works are still protected by copyright throughout most of the world. The 1992 Dover Publication states it is an "unabridged republication" of the 1939 English translation issued by Prentice-Hall. The translator is Glen Haydon who died in 1966. The Dover Edition doesn't specifically state if they are reprinting it because it is in the pubic domain or if they licensed it from Prentice-Hall. The Prentice-Hall edition may be in the public domain in the U.S. if it were never registered for copyright protection in the U.S. or, if it were, then the copyright was not renewed at the expiration of the 28 year copyright term. To determine that one would have to search through the relevant volumes of the Catalog of Copyright Entries.
Sallen112
active poster

Post by Sallen112 »

I tried to do a quick search with our IMSLP tool to search through the volumes and for this composer, I did not see anything under "Counterpoint" so that might be fair game if there was no renewal that I can see the title of. If you would like us to open up the composer to make a workpage, you need to make a request in the PD-USA forum on here so we have proper approval and cite evidence through Worldcat or something.
cypressdome
active poster

Post by cypressdome »

Does the IMSLP tool search through the Book volumes or only the Music volumes of the Catalog of Copyright Entries? I think only the latter. Chances are Counterpoint would have been registered as a book.
Sallen112
active poster

Post by Sallen112 »

I believe it does search for both. You might have to ask Carl or Edward about that.