Stravinsky - Rite of Spring Manuscripts

Specific copyright information. If you're not sure if you can upload your score, ask it here first

Moderators: kcleung, Copyright Reviewers

Oboeboy
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Stravinsky - Rite of Spring Manuscripts

Post by Oboeboy »

Since I'm on the topic of learning more about copyright, I thought I would ask about this one, too:

For the centennial of the premiere of Rite of Spring, Boosey released a facsimile edition of handwritten full and piano reduction scores in his and his copyists handwriting. I borrowed a copy of this from my university's library a long while back, but now I'm curious the copyright limitations here--especially for scanning and uploading.

Obviously: Rite of Spring is public domain in the US. And one could argue that this is a new edition published by Boosey in 2013 would not be--since I'm sure they intended to make a profit on it. But it was also published posthumously, so wouldn't these manuscripts, even if they were scanned and published by Boosey still be under public domain? Can copyright extensions be bought and made on manuscripts? Is there a difference between a manuscript and a published scan of a manuscript? Obviously no real changes/corrections, etc. were performed on the manuscripts for release, so would it just be a reprint of a public domain piece?

My head is spinning. Copyright law is weird...hahaha

Taylor
Melodia
active poster

Re: Stravinsky - Rite of Spring Manuscripts

Post by Melodia »

The fact they 'intended to make profit on it' has no bearing on if something is PD or not. The beauty of PD is that ANYONE is allowed to profit off it.
Oboeboy
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Stravinsky - Rite of Spring Manuscripts

Post by Oboeboy »

Melodia wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:11 pm The fact they 'intended to make profit on it' has no bearing on if something is PD or not. The beauty of PD is that ANYONE is allowed to profit off it.
Very good point.