Confused, why are PD works still blocked in the UK?

General help on the Wiki

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

d. swordfish

Confused, why are PD works still blocked in the UK?

Post by d. swordfish »

Specifically referring to the Piano edition of Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue. I don't know if I'm being dense here but have been searching for about an hour for a good explanation as to why I can't download this.

The work was published in 1927 (the ones available for download anyhow), and Gershwin himself died in 1937. This would surely make this work Public Domain anywhere except the US, so why can't I download it in the UK?

If there is a good explanation, is it possible it could be displayed a little more transparently? I've been puzzling this one out for a while.
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by Yagan Kiely »

Because he is copyright in the US. Due to legal concerns, IMSLP (currently - temporary) only allows files that are copyright in the US due to the fact that most of our users are from the US. It's either this, or face even more C&D letters.

Hopefully legal framework will be worked out as soon as possible. If you notice, 50+ are also blocked.
d. swordfish

Post by d. swordfish »

That's a real pity, hope it gets sorted soon.

My one gripe is that I had to post to the forum to discover this, Is it not possible it could be mentioned somewhere on the front page or at least at the top of the huge long spiel on copyright - would be far more useful than knowing all the subtle diferences in copyright law everywhere when pretty much everything is blocked due to US restricitions anyway.
Peter
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Peter »

d. swordfish wrote: Is it not possible it could be mentioned somewhere on the front page or at least at the top of the huge long spiel on copyright - would be far more useful than knowing all the subtle diferences in copyright law everywhere when pretty much everything is blocked due to US restricitions anyway.
point taken.
noqu
forum adept

Post by noqu »

Yagan Kiely wrote:... only allows files that are copyright in the US ...
Yagan, you probably meant to say "files that are public domain in the US"
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by Yagan Kiely »

I think I meant "aren't", but yes. :P