General help on the Wiki

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

vinteuil
Groundskeeper
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Rostropovich reduction is c/v/c???

Post by vinteuil »

FLAME ON: What?????? How?????? FLAME OFF.
Could someone explain?
Generoso
active poster

Post by Generoso »

If you are talking about

http://imslp.org/wiki/Cello_Concerto_in ... Antonio%29

You can blame me, I up loaded it. I did not know it was edited by Slava. It does not say on the parts. Nor does it say the edition. I got it from CD Sheet Music (Am I allowed to say that here?) But it is also the same as the one from

http://everynote.com/cello.show/122561.note

Are you sure it is the one edited by Slava (that's Rostropovish's nick name)

Generoso
Carolus
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Carolus »

Yes, it is definitely the Rostropovich edition. This is an example of how some things are exceptions to the general rule. Both Masters and International have reprinted this item and presently have it available for sale along with Everynote and CDSM with no apparent territorial restrictions. BTW, if anyone is interested in becoming a copyright reviewer, some of the essential tools of the trade are the Kalmus, Masters, Dover and Lucks catalogs, along with a good link to the contents of CDSM.

This case is especially odd since Rostropovich was not merely the editor, but actually created the piano reduction. Normally I would be deleting something like this. The fact that it appears in all these other places means that C/V/C is most likely an accurate representation of its copyright status.
vinteuil
Groundskeeper

Post by vinteuil »

Maybe in the U.S. because of some renewal thing, but surely not EU or Canada? The only thing I can think of would be it being published in the U.S. and then not being renewed, and then rule of the shorter term...or something....odd
vinteuil
Groundskeeper

Post by vinteuil »

But it's obviously not.
Weird.
Oughtn't we play it safe and block it, just in case?
vinteuil
Groundskeeper

Post by vinteuil »

Oh, and I only have the dover catalogue. :oops:
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

Use WorldCat. It'll tell you everything you need to know (and Carolus will tell you the rest).
vinteuil
Groundskeeper

Post by vinteuil »

Concerto in G major, for cello and piano.
by Antonio Vivaldi; Mstislav Rostropovich
Type: Musical score : Concertos; English
Publisher: New York, International Music [©1967]
Editions: 2 Editions
OCLC: 421134
So...?
Kalmus and co. do occasionally license thing...they claim that my Sourek Dvorak 9th was licensed - thus making it way overpriced - but I doubt it. However, it's possible....
If you guys have any other information, I would be happy to beat a dead horse some more.
Generoso
active poster

Post by Generoso »

From Masters I got this info:

Catalog number M1554
Composer VIVALDI, Antonio (1678-1741)
Arranger/Editor ROSTROPOVICH
Title Concerto in G, RV 413
Instrumentation Cello / Piano
Orig. Imprint Muzyka

You can see here:

http://www.masters-music.com/detail.php?r=13847
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

Not all countries treat piano reductions the same as they do other derivative works. Also, the fact the Rostropovich lived in the USA for a number of years may have had some sort of effect as to the status of his arrangement. The International claim is probably bogus, unless they contacted Rostropovich and set up a serparate deal with him. The bottom line is that Masters, CDSM and Everynote are all distributing the piece with no territorial limitation. If a program like Finale can automatically generate a piano reduction via a simple command, there could be an issue of originality coming into play here.

I'm planning to leave it as C/V/C unless someone barks. The fact that 3-4 independent companies are offering this for sale is indicative that the work is most likely not protected because of some quirk(s) in the copyright laws of several countries.
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Carolus wrote:If a program like Finale can automatically generate a piano reduction via a simple command, there could be an issue of originality coming into play here.
[off topic] Interesting; although I have never seen a computer-generated orchestra reduction, I would seriously doubt this. I can run Dostojevski in Google translate, but my translation would hopefully be more original :) Is it to us to decide if a creation is original? Besides, I suppose Mr. Rostropovich didn't have this software at his disposal...
Melodia
active poster

Post by Melodia »

I doubt Finale could generate any sort of thing that isn't just "take staves w, x, y, and z and put them on a single grand staff". That was easy enough to do in Cakewalk 15 years ago.
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

I don't think much of Finale's ability to do this, mind you. It just raises an interesting question about originality. The normal procedure for making a piano reduction of a fairly standard 18th century work like the one under discussion is to take the 1st Violin staff, the Cello / Bass staff and maybe fill in a few of the thin spots.
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Post by pml »

... and is the exact same procedure I myself follow for doing reductio partituræ of works of this period :-)
--
PML (talk)