Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

homerdundas
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Categories for Orchestral Parts

Post by homerdundas »

Hi,

we currently have a page titled List of Orchestra or Band Pieces with Parts Available. This page lists all the orchestra works with one or more parts. This is maintained manually - which is a bit of work - especially for works that have parts coming in piecemeal from the OML or other sources. I have had a bit of discussion with Snailey on using the built in categories feature for producing lists of works with parts for a particular instrument - (see http://imslp.org/wiki/Talk:List_of_Orch ... _Available ) . I do see however that there is a comment somewhere that we should avoid using categories because of "database issues". Is this an acceptable use - should I start making categories for [[Category: <instrumentname> orchestral parts]]. Note that once the set for a particular work is complete, we would probably remove these categories and just list the work under something like [[Category: Orchestral parts set complete]]. The latter is very important for any librarians looking for a usable work to download and play with their ensemble.

edit....

One slight disadvantage with such pages would be that the works are sorted simply by title and not composer / title. Is that changable?
h.
Melodia
active poster

Post by Melodia »

Mediawiki just isn't the best in such sorting options. After all, using catagories as the main hub per composer is already pretty clunky.

I'd love to see some more orginization though -- for instance, if the 'original' score is available, or perhaps if 'orchestral' is (some composers like Johann Strauss almost only have piano music, and even Mozart at least used to be suject to some pieces with only reductions available).
Davydov
Copyright Reviewer
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Davydov »

Melodia wrote:I'd love to see some more orginization though -- for instance, if the 'original' score is available, or perhaps if 'orchestral' is
We're working on it. These new guidelines for the layout of pages have just been agreed:

http://imslp.org/wiki/IMSLP:Score_submi ... Work_Pages

They will make it easier to see what's included, just by looking at the "Contents" box at the top of each work pages.
Melodia
active poster

Post by Melodia »

But that doesn't help in the composer's list. One still has to click each individual piece.
Peter
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Peter »

Melodia wrote:But that doesn't help in the composer's list. One still has to click each individual piece.
Then you are hitting the cataloguing system. Ideally, all works should be looked by composers name or by instrument; or ... These works then should made be accessible in a common way , or after choosing different sorting ways. (the most probable lists are "list of compositions by x, by Opus number' , 'by another another number'', 'chronologically' , 'by work genre and instrumentation)
Putting a work in a list is now completely not mandatory, so there is a large amount of dyssynchronies.
When decision will have been made about the cataloging system, the entering of this information should be made obligatory when entering a new work.now you can spoof the IMDBP obligation of entering work info.
Anyway we will have a backlog of 26000 files to go through - no way we're doing that, I already went twice through the 12000 after the breakdown - there are better things in life.
Good to start with , is the links to this page link on the left pane. If this list is empty besides from some redirects, than you know it's not being listed anywhere. Then you should have the oblige to enter it in 1. the composer's list's 2. the right instrument(s) lists. Only one minute of work. and you learn from visiting these pages.

There is even a wiki extension which automatically flags your page if there are no links or certain links to your page.