General help on the Wiki

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

steltz
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

browsing new additions / instrumentation

Post by steltz »

I don't know how many people browse the new additions from time to time, but I do sometimes find works for which there is no info given -- instrumentation, for example.

The Miguez works that were recently added would have to be downloaded first in order to see what it's for.

Is there a way to request (or require) that an uploader complete certain information so others don't have to download a lot of MBs in order to find out it's not in the genre they need?

Thanks.
bsteltz
Lyle Neff
active poster

Post by Lyle Neff »

This is not a new problem -- this along with sloppy titles, hit-and-run file uploads (i.e., without reformatting the work page), attempts to post copyrighted works, etc.

When one notices missing data, it's probably best to register on IMSLP/IMDLP and add the missing information oneself.
"A libretto, a libretto, my kingdom for a libretto!" -- Cesar Cui (letter to Stasov, Feb. 20, 1877)
Leonard Vertighel
Groundskeeper

Post by Leonard Vertighel »

Lyle Neff wrote:IMSLP/IMDLP
Dammit Feldmahler, NOBODY can get those unpronounceable acronyms right. Sorry but I need to make this unhelpful remark every once in a while. :D
vinteuil
Groundskeeper
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by vinteuil »

Yeah, but IMDB is a movies database....
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Leonard Vertighel wrote:
Dammit Feldmahler, NOBODY can get those unpronounceable acronyms right. Sorry but I need to make this unhelpful remark every once in a while. :D
Hahaha... point taken. ;-)
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Leonard Vertighel wrote:
yes I notice this when I talk with friends-site visitors about the project. How many times I got this question 'Hey Peter, how was this site called again? IMPLS? IMSPL? IMPSL?' There's just too much consonants together. Is there news about a name and domain change to petrucci?
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Post by pml »

A friend of mine calls this website "`im slip", as in "Jim slipped on a banana peel".

I imagine if IMSLP went for the shorter acronym of Petrucci Music Library, people would begin calling in "pummel" or "pommel", as in "Philip pummelled his leg on the pommel horse".

IMDBP on the other hand ... virtually unpronounceable.

PML
--
PML (talk)
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

domain change to petrucci?
www.petruccilibrary.org
www.petruccimusiclibrary.com/.org both work
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

:o
vinteuil
Groundskeeper

Post by vinteuil »

I personally pronounce it Im-sul-puh (as in "Jim"...um...)
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Re: browsing new additions / instrumentation

Post by pml »

True story.

I was at the pub last Thursday after rehearsal, and a cellist asked me if I knew any websites where he could get lots of specifically cello music, for his cello group; either solo, duet, or multiple cellos. :mrgreen:

So I suggested a few pieces like the opening of the Rossini Guillaume Tell with that wonderful cello quintet, and then tried to communicate the name imslp.org. It was very loud in the bar, so I took out a pencil and wrote it down right in front of him. I'd had well over a pint of amber fluid, and even having written down, I struggled over calling it "International Sheet Music... Music Sheet, no, Music Score Library Project!"

Very soon a chorus had gathered around me, as I had been impertinent enough to write directly on the table, and then their refrain sprang up: "I'm asleep, I'm asleep, I'm asleep, dot org!"
--
PML (talk)
steltz
active poster

Re: browsing new additions / instrumentation

Post by steltz »

As pertinent as this is to another topic, most of these posts have slipped off-topic, and there was only one real reply. The original request was to see if it is possible to make sure certain information is entered. I take Lyle's point that the person who notices the missing information should add it. My point is that if I notice it, I still can't enter it, unless I download an awful lot of stuff first that I might not be able to use. I live in a country where ADSLP is expensive, so most of us have caps. We don't download stuff unless we are sure we want it.

So many sites work with required fields, would this be difficult for IMSLP?

p.s. I usually just spell it, but "I'm asleep" does help to remember the order of the letters. A lot of people here call it Petrucci, too.
bsteltz