Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

Josef
regular poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

New genre?

Post by Josef »

Hi,

I've just added my "Concertino" for 1-x instruments (http://www.imslp.org/wiki/Concertino_%2 ... C_Josef%29) but couldn't find a more appropriate genre than the chamber section.
The current solution is definitely wrong since you can play it with an orchestra too.

What to do? On one hand the piece belongs to both, "instruments (chamber)" and "instruments (other)". On the other hand there is no real need for genres like "instruments (variable)" or "instruments (experimental)", they mostly fit into the classical genres.

Do you have an idea?

Thanks for your consideration.
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

It is known that the current IMSLP cataloguing system is broken; I've already proposed the adoption of a standard library cataloguing system (either the LoC or the British music cataloguing system), but the work involved in this is very large (for example, the LoC would need something like 100 hours of work to get off the paper and into electronic form to use in the program, not to mention the coding itself).

Hence, don't count on the current IMSLP cataloguing system too much; try to fit it in as best as you can, but I probably won't create new genres unless absolutely necessary. It is very heavyweight and hard to maintain; adding categories only makes it worse...

By the way, about the copyright issue, I'm prepared to expand the IMSLP "personal" copyright status to include files that permit non-commercial copying but not non-commercial performance. However, the restriction (no non-commercial performance without permission) should be noted either in the score file, or in the file submission. :)