Question about uploading new versions of files

General help on the Wiki

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

Operalala
active poster

Question about uploading new versions of files

Post by Operalala »

I have a cleaner copy of the http://imslp.org/wiki/Wesendonck_Lieder ... Richard%29, and would like to replace the 5 files I uploaded previously with this one, but it comes from a different publication.
Is it ok to replace the files with a different publication of the same edition and change the the page accordingly, or will this mess up other databases? (I sort of want to avoid filling up the work page with a multiple files of the 5 Lieder.)

Operalala
vinteuil
Groundskeeper
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Re: Question about uploading new versions of files

Post by vinteuil »

We're not running out of space - go ahead and post it separately, and then just put the reissue there. We have plenty of examples of this - in fact, even when the scan is exactly the same reprint (vis the Schubert Quintet in C)
Formerly known as "perlnerd666"
Operalala
active poster

Post by Operalala »

Actually I was more worried about "spamming" the page with clutter and making it harder to overview. (There is already a complete upload of the current version, so it's not like this score would get lost, and these separate scores are mainly for practical use, rather than for preservation.) Operalala
vinteuil
Groundskeeper
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by vinteuil »

It's not really that bad. Again, see what I did with the Schubert
Formerly known as "perlnerd666"
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Different editions/publications should always be posted separately rather than replaced. Replacement should be extremely limited, and only in cases where the replaced version is either (1) an absolutely better scan, or (2) a cleanup of artifacts, of the exact same edition/publication. Having multiple editions/publications is a major goal on IMSLP, and replacing files should be used only in very rare situations.

This is why at the very beginning I disabled replacement of files. But since some contributors want to clean up some of the scans, I've re-enabled replacement, but it should still be used rarely and only in the circumstances described above.

P.S. Me using bold text in any post is not an indication of shouting, but rather to highlight the main points of what I'm trying to say, to make it easier to the reader. I wish editors would do that to textbooks here...
Leonard Vertighel
Groundskeeper

Post by Leonard Vertighel »

To throw in a totally off-topic, pedantic and subjective remark on typography, since you are discussing emphasis: I would have chosen italics rather than boldface at least for "always" and "only". Boldface makes the words stand out strongly from the text, therefore you notice them at first glance. But those two words don't really mean anything on their own. Italics on the other hand don't stand out so much, but you notice the emphasis while you are reading the text, as if someone talking to you was stressing those words. In short: use bold for words or (short) clauses a reader might jump to before reading the entire text; use italics to stress words without making them stand out.

Feel free to ignore me.
Lyle Neff
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Lyle Neff »

An exception, I would think, to uploading more than one PDF of exactly the same edition would be the case where one exemplar has editorial or performance markings (e.g., by the composer, a conductor, or a significant performer, etc.). The scan of a separate, clean exemplar, of course, would always be welcomed. :mrgreen:
"A libretto, a libretto, my kingdom for a libretto!" -- Cesar Cui (letter to Stasov, Feb. 20, 1877)