General help on the Wiki

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

Peter
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

site map

Post by Peter »

Hey!! Where did the site map go??? I can't find it anywhere!
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Now that I'm cooled down :roll: , I suppose Leonard does not need it anymore, because the other pages and portals contain all necessary links. But in my opinion Leonard, the portals should co-exist with a site map.

The portals direct (relatively new) users to the right pages, but for habitués, it's just very handy if you need a page quickly (that is, in two clicks) without entering the exact name or looking for the right portal or welcome page where this link is. I.e. I recently needed the multiple files uploader, and peters, and just didn't know where to click first.
Besides, it's the one page with an overview of IMSLP's contents.

I've put a lot of work in it (but for the last weeks it isn't up to date anymore), and I'm willing to keep tracking all new pages or changes in the site map.

So please, can it be linked on the main page? Or if that doesn't work, maybe in the admin box? I've also heard you can personalize the very first line of the wiki (with your watchlist, preferences etc.). Anyone knows how?
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Ok, I found it finally. This illustrates the terrible quality of the wiki search engine: i gave the terms 'Site map' and IMSLP:Sitemap was not even in the results...
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Peter wrote:Now that I'm cooled down :roll: , I suppose Leonard does not need it anymore, because the other pages and portals contain all necessary links. But in my opinion Leonard, the portals should co-exist with a site map.

The portals direct (relatively new) users to the right pages, but for habitués, it's just very handy if you need a page quickly (that is, in two clicks) without entering the exact name or looking for the right portal or welcome page where this link is. I.e. I recently needed the multiple files uploader, and peters, and just didn't know where to click first.
Besides, it's the one page with an overview of IMSLP's contents.

I've put a lot of work in it (but for the last weeks it isn't up to date anymore), and I'm willing to keep tracking all new pages or changes in the site map.

So please, can it be linked on the main page? Or if that doesn't work, maybe in the admin box?
Hmm... maybe we can have an "other" section below the "participate" section, and it could contain both "Donations" and "Sitemap". This way new people would go to the Portals first, and people who know IMSLP well can use Sitemap if they choose. Speaking of which... maybe we can put the multiple file uploader in the sidebar in the "other" section too :)

And Peter, the next time you can't find a special page, you can look it up with the "Special Pages" link in the sidebar.
I've also heard you can personalize the very first line of the wiki (with your watchlist, preferences etc.). Anyone knows how?
I have no idea, but Leonard may know :)
Ok, I found it finally. This illustrates the terrible quality of the wiki search engine: i gave the terms 'Site map' and IMSLP:Sitemap was not even in the results...
Haha... blame MySQL full text search for not knowing to strip spaces ;)
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Actually, I think it should work so well that I'm going to do it right now :) Please revert it if you have any objections Leonard (or post in this thread)
Leonard Vertighel
Groundskeeper

Post by Leonard Vertighel »

Sorry for the delay, I had to go out and only came back now.
imslp wrote:
Peter wrote:I've put a lot of work in it (but for the last weeks it isn't up to date anymore), and I'm willing to keep tracking all new pages or changes in the site map.

So please, can it be linked on the main page? Or if that doesn't work, maybe in the admin box?
Hmm... maybe we can have an "other" section below the "participate" section, and it could contain both "Donations" and "Sitemap". This way new people would go to the Portals first, and people who know IMSLP well can use Sitemap if they choose. Speaking of which... maybe we can put the multiple file uploader in the sidebar in the "other" section too :)
Actually I prefer Peter's proposal to put it among the admin tools, but if that is too difficult, I'm OK with Feldmahler's solution. Also, the multiple file uploader would make more sense right below the single file uploader; but I really hope that this will be only a temporary solution anyway, since it would be best to integrate it directly into the submission form (Feldmahler, remember that I'm willing to help with coding - I don't know the Mediawiki code well yet, but I'll learn step by step...).

Only thing, please please don't put it on the Main Page. You have said yourself that it is more of a tool for regular contributors, so its place is not on the Main Page. You don't store the janitor's tools in the main entrance hall of a building.

By the way, maybe we should restrict the scope of the site map somewhat. E.g. it doesn't make much sense to keep track of every single page in non-English languages, IMHO. Also, the special pages are all neatly listed in alphabetical order on Special:Specialpages, which is linked from the sidebar. Thus I don't see the use of duplicating the list on the site map. But ultimately I'll leave the choice to you, since I don't actually use the site map.
imslp wrote:
I've also heard you can personalize the very first line of the wiki (with your watchlist, preferences etc.). Anyone knows how?
I have no idea, but Leonard may know :)
Sorry, no idea (but I can try searching the Mediawiki manuals). But you can obviously place your favourite links on your user page - many Wikipedians to that, and I do it also on IMSLP :)
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Leonard Vertighel wrote:Actually I prefer Peter's proposal to put it among the admin tools, but if that is too difficult, I'm OK with Feldmahler's solution. Also, the multiple file uploader would make more sense right below the single file uploader; but I really hope that this will be only a temporary solution anyway, since it would be best to integrate it directly into the submission form (Feldmahler, remember that I'm willing to help with coding - I don't know the Mediawiki code well yet, but I'll learn step by step...).

Only thing, please please don't put it on the Main Page. You have said yourself that it is more of a tool for regular contributors, so its place is not on the Main Page. You don't store the janitor's tools in the main entrance hall of a building.
This is indeed a temporary solution... I'm currently rather busy doing a few other things (trying to track down that damned bug which makes some people see the "file not exist" error even when the file is uploaded.

Or! I could just make the file submission page integrate with the upload right now, and stop worrying about this! (just thought of this myself) I'll start coding this right now. :)
Leonard Vertighel
Groundskeeper

Post by Leonard Vertighel »

imslp wrote:Or! I could just make the file submission page integrate with the upload right now, and stop worrying about this! (just thought of this myself) I'll start coding this right now. :)
"If the mountain will not come to Muhammad..." :D
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

"If the mountain will not come to Muhammad..." :D
Hahahahahaha! :lol:
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Update: Apparently there's a problem (see forum thread in the "Other" section) :( Back to debugging....