General help on the Wiki

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

horndude77
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Loading errors of all kinds

Post by horndude77 »

Are all of these problems we're experiencing because of the new host? It's quite frustrating. Is there anything that we can do to help? Thanks!

-----Horndude77
Peter
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Peter »

what are the errors? I haven't noticed any problems?
horndude77
active poster

Post by horndude77 »

Mostly mysql errors, but I also remember seeing another one where the imslp logo didn't even show. I haven't seen any in the past day or two which leads me to believe the problem has been fixed (Thanks!). I'll be sure to take a screen shot next time.
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Lol. It was because of the new host (they have some VERY weird settings). I had to spend a few days fixing all the bugs that came up because of it. Like how they apparently delete everything in the /tmp dir every few minutes, which means all login sessions don't last any longer than that (and produce errors too); but I managed to work around it. The transition to PHP 5 also gave me somewhat of a headache, but again, it's fixed now. And the server seems fairly stable now, though it wasn't so much when I first put the site on it for some reason.

Post by Guest »

Here's another error:
-----
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, support@netfirms.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
-----

Is this because of too many users? It happened after the front page loaded. After I tried to go to any other page at first firefox gave me a download prompt for the php file (empty of course) and then after a few tries I got this.

Thanks
horndude77
active poster

Post by horndude77 »

(sorry that was me in the last message) Here's another error I just got:
-----
IMSLP has a problem

Sorry! This site is experiencing technical difficulties.

Try waiting a few minutes and reloading.

(Can't contact the database server: Access Denied (MYSQLHOST))
-----

I got it when trying to upload a file. I just pressed back and started uploading the file again and all went fine. So things are much better, but I thought you might want to know that there are still a few problems.
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Both errors are the result of the VERY crappy MySQL server, which apparently denies requests when it's slightly overloaded. I used to run a monitoring script, which tells me how frequently the website goes down (either due to MySQL or otherwise), and apparently the uptime hovers around 95-98%, which is far from great. However, the good news is that while outages are somewhat frequent, they are usually not very long (around 20-30 minutes).

If I'd known all this I won't have bought that hosting -_- Reading reviews really works (I didn't read any, which is why this happened).

P.S. Because I currently don't have a normal computer (using a terminal right now), I can't run the monitoring script :/ Is there anyone who is running linux who would be willing to run that thing, which is a shell script (and won't really take any resources)?