notabot2: Bot

Re: Does Anybody Know this song?

Post by vinteuil »

It's on Youtube...search "L'adieu Schubert"
Formerly known as "perlnerd666"
BKhon

Post by BKhon »

It's a transcription of one of his songs, but which one? What is the actual song, and what D number was it published under?
pml
Copyright Reviewer
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by pml »

It should perhaps be attributed to the arrangers directly, rather than being made into a spurious Schubert item sans Deutsch number? I don’t know all 600 of the lieder, but I haven’t heard this among the ones I do know.

Regards PML
--
PML (talk)
choul
forum adept

Post by choul »

Abschied von einem Freund? Heller made a transcription of it too (30 melodies by Schubert) and called it lebewhol in his subtitle, searching on the Internet that leads too 'Abschied'. When I compare the two pieces it looks like it is a transcription of D578.
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Post by pml »

I think you found the other transcription sporting under this name on Youtube? The one by Vogel and Guérot, and Tárrega, is not based on Abschied von einem Freund judging by both the key, metre, and the general form of the piece.

EDITED TO ADD:

Found it! According to this page, http://imslp.org/wiki/6_Melodien_von_Fr ... ,_Franz%29

1. Lebe wohl!
Arrangement of the song by August Heinrich von Weyrauch — NOT FPS!

The information on the Liszt page is presumably thanks to the detective work of Funper.

It seems Liszt was under the mistaken belief this was a piece by Schubert, since he included it in a batch of 6 melodies all ascribed to Schubert (like Heller’s set). It seems we may have about three or four arrangements lurking around IMSLP!

PML
--
PML (talk)
choul
forum adept

Post by choul »

Good Work @pml!

It looks like everyone thought it to be composed by Franz Schubert, maybe because of the lyrics that start with 'Lebe wohl' of Schubert's song?
Not only by Liszt and Heller, but I found an arrangement by Henry Maylath too (easy one).

On the following page is a bit more information:

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Page:A_Di ... 4.djvu/466

Still not very clear to me. Did Schubert wrote a transcription of a piece composed by August Heinrich von Weyrauch and others wrote a transcription of the transcripton by Schubert or was the original only attributed to Schubert?
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Post by pml »

My guess is that Schubert had nothing to do with the original work at all, since the erroneous edition miscrediting it to him originated in Paris in 1840, some years after Weyrauch’s original 1824 publication. It was a commonplace business activity for unscrupulous publishers to push a work forward by putting a famous name on the cover; what is remarkable is the train of people who then made arrangements: Döhler, Liszt, Heller, Maylath, Tárrega, …
--
PML (talk)
aldona
active poster

Post by aldona »

It's spurious - not a genuine Schubert at all. See my note on the talk page of the offending piece.

AJ
“all great composers wrote music that could be described as ‘heavenly’; but others have to take you there. In Schubert’s music you hear the very first notes, and you know that you’re there already.” - Steven Isserlis
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Post by pml »

Noted, and I’ve moved that page to reside under Category:Weyrauch, August Heinrich von. What should be done about all of the other arrangements? The one by Heller is the first in a set of 30, so is not separable from the rest; Maylath’s is likewise embedded in a set of 20 popular songs; the one by Liszt has its own page. If someone familiar with the formatting to facilitate linking those to the page, I’m sure Aldona would be very grateful.

Cheers PML
--
PML (talk)