General help on the Wiki

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

steltz
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Byrd, Pavan

Post by steltz »

Grove Music lists this as "Pavan and two Galliards in a, no.2, The Earl of Salisbury". Would this be a formal name, and should the page be re-named accordingly?
bsteltz
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Re: Byrd, Pavan

Post by KGill »

Is the inclusion of 'The Earl of Salisbury' a dedication? And does 'no.2' imply that there's a 'no.1' out there as well? My guess would be to keep the first part ('Pavan and Two Galliards in A minor') and leave out the extra details - assuming that they aren't necessary to identify it.
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

I'll try to check further, but I know there is at least one other pavan in a minor, so it is possible that the dedication is used as an identifier to differentiate it from the other one in the same key. Will get back . . . .
bsteltz
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Post by pml »

Often the dedication of these keyboard works is more or less the title, in the absence of any other info, e.g. Bull’s “Pavana of my L[ord] Lumley”, Byrd’s “Lady Montegle’s Paven” in the Fitzwilliam Virginal Book.

Cheers, PML
--
PML (talk)
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

The file uploaded was a new typeset, not an scan of an older print, so I can't see what the publication title was. I've checked WorldCat and my own university library to find a uniform title. This also brought some variations, but when published on its own in a set of works by several composers, the Pavan is usually "The Earl of Salisbury's Pavan". The whole set, though is more usually "Pavan and two galliards, The Earl of Salisbury", or the same but without the comma and "The Earl of Salisbury" in quotation marks.

I think IMSLP should do the set of three pieces, since it seems they were intended as a set, so I'll go with Grove.
bsteltz