General help on the Wiki

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

miskopo
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Full Slovak localisation

Post by miskopo »

Hi!
I want to ask you guys, how can I help with Slovak (and Czech too) localization.
I found, that main page is locked and left menu is uneditable.
Is there way to edit them?
Can I also re-make graphical announcements on the main page? :idea:

Thanks for replies

Miskopo :mrgreen:
-------
Miskopo
NLewis
active poster

Re: Full Slovak localisation

Post by NLewis »

What exactly do you have in mind? You can help with translation if you want without needing the rights to edit the side bar and main page.
miskopo

Post by miskopo »

But the main page and left menu is also in english.
I want to ask, how to edit only pages for Slovakia (I've choosen language from left menu) and if there is general template, f.e. for composers, periods etc.
Sorry for my stupid questions :) , I have no big experiences with wikipedia format :|
-------
Miskopo
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Post by KGill »

The English Main Page is protected from editing by new users, but that shouldn't stop you from creating a differently-titled Main Page in Slovak. Simply copy all the text of the English Main Page, change the URL to whatever the proper Slovak title is, and paste it in there; after that, you can just change it all into Slovak. I would hold off doing this for now, though - the Main Page is currently undergoing a complete redesign and will look very different within the near future (probably).
The left sidebar is slightly more complicated. The entire thing is controlled through the page MediaWiki:Sidebar, which requires special permissions to edit. (Each other page starting with 'MediaWiki:' requires those same permissions.) The page is structured as follows:
*section title (i.e., for each separated box)
**page that the link leads to|page with text of link
So, for instance, the first entry in the top section ('navigation') appears on the site as 'Main Page' and links to, of course, the page titled 'Main Page':

Code: Select all

mainpage-url|mainpage
'mainpage-url' points to another page in the MediaWiki namespace - in this case, MediaWiki:Mainpage-url - that contains the link to the page 'Main Page'. The other half of the line - referring to MediaWiki:Mainpage - is the actual text that we see in the sidebar. The second entry is a link to the page Special:RecentChanges that appears with the text 'Recent changes':

recentchanges-url|recentchanges
'recentchanges-url' points to MediaWiki:Recentchanges-url, which contains the wikilink 'Special:RecentChanges'; 'recentchanges' points to MediaWiki:Recentchanges, which simply contains the text 'Recent changes' as we see it in the sidebar.
Now, in order to translate it, one needs to create a new set of pages for each 'MediaWiki:' page mentioned in the Sidebar control page. (Don't actually change the Sidebar page itself - that won't do anything except mess it up :) ) It's easier to look at examples of this than to explain it. The Japanese Main Page text is at MediaWiki:Mainpage/ja - it is the same title as the English one, appended with /ja (the ISO language code). (Its companion page for the URL is here.) So, if you wanted to translate that link into Czech, you would make a new page called MediaWiki:Mainpage/cz, and put in whatever the Czech name of the Main Page is. The same process applies for every link in the sidebar, though note that not all of the URLs are translatable (special pages and external links are good examples). For those ones, you will only be able to translate the text that is actually displayed in the sidebar.
While you are still a new user, you will not be given the necessary permissions to edit these pages - we need to make sure we can trust you first :) Therefore, if you want to help out with this, please put the translations for the sidebar on some page (possibly in your own userspace) so that an administrator can see them and put them into the actual translation system. After a little while, you will most likely be given translator rights so that you can just do it yourself.
miskopo

Post by miskopo »

Thanks for reply
So, if I understood it, the left panel code will be.

navigácia
	mainpage-url/sk|Hlavná stránka
	recentchanges-url/sk(???)|Nedávne zmeny
	randompage-url|Náhodná stránka
I am not sure with "/sk" on the place marked with "(???)". I didn't create mainpage-url/sk yet, but I found, how to do it, so it isn't problem.

Original code:

navigation

mainpage-url|mainpage
    recentchanges-url|recentchanges
    randompage-url|randompage

Am I right? If so, I'll start work on it on my page. Do I need something special for it, or can I do it only in HTML format?
-------
Miskopo
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Post by KGill »

No, the Sidebar page itself should remain untranslated. The text of each page referred to by the central Sidebar page should be translated, which will have the visual effect of the sidebar itself being translated. (The text displayed in the sidebar does not actually appear on the sidebar page itself; the name of each MediaWiki: page should not be translated. Instead, the page with the translated text should be appended to the original [English] page title with '/sk'. This does not need to be reflected on the Sidebar page itself - the /sk subpages merely need to be created, as in 'MediaWiki:Mainpage-url/sk'.)
Sorry, it seems I'm not making myself very clear :? Please don't hesitate to ask if there are still things I have not explained adequately.
(N.B.: You may want to see IMSLP:Internationalization as well - it's the central coordination page for translation - though I don't think it has detailed instructions on translating things in the MediaWiki namespace.)
ladis

Post by ladis »

Hi Miskopo, in order not to do the same work twice, pls, contact me, Ican help with the Czech stuff, if necessary.
miskopo

Post by miskopo »

OK, I'll be glad if somebody will help me with Czech translation, you know, it's better to use your native language :)
Sorry for late reply, I wasn't here for really log time
-------
Miskopo
ladis

Post by ladis »

miskopo wrote:OK, I'll be glad if somebody will help me with Czech translation, you know, it's better to use your native language :)
Sorry for late reply, I wasn't here for really log time
OK, you have a PM from me. Mas odo mna sukromu zpravu.
miskopo

Post by miskopo »

Hello!
I finally started to translating IMSLP, and today I completed main page with several templates. I wanted to put the link in OtherLangs:Main_Page, but I found its locked, so I want to beg you (you people with admin rights), if is everything right, please add this link to OtherLangs page.
[[sk:Hlavna stranka]] (The absolute address is http://imslp.org/wiki/Hlavna_stranka)

I hope I did everything right, if not, I'll welcome your critic :)

Thank you
-------
Miskopo
Hobbypianist
Copyright Reviewer

Post by Hobbypianist »

miskopo wrote:Hello!
I finally started to translating IMSLP, and today I completed main page with several templates. I wanted to put the link in OtherLangs:Main_Page, but I found its locked, so I want to beg you (you people with admin rights), if is everything right, please add this link to OtherLangs page.
[[sk:Hlavna stranka]] (The absolute address is http://imslp.org/wiki/Hlavna_stranka)

I hope I did everything right, if not, I'll welcome your critic :)

Thank you
Hi,

thanks for the translation. Actually, meanwhile we use the Template:Langcol for the new main page design.
The Slovak version is available as "Slovenčina".
See also the change I made on Hlavna stranka or IMSLP:Mapa stranky, this will add your translated pages to the category Category:Translations sk.

HP
miskopo

Post by miskopo »

Thank you for help!
I found that even I have set language to Slovak, main page still appears in english (with adress main_page), and also site map, although the localised version is published.
Maybe I should link them some way, but, you know, I am not 100% sure with wiki hierarchy (but I will learn it soon) and I don't have some rights, which are probably needed.

Sorry for the inconveniences.
-------
Miskopo
Hobbypianist
Copyright Reviewer

Post by Hobbypianist »

Please try again. The links in the sidebar should lead now to the Slovak main page and site map after setting the language to Slovencina.
Is "Mapa stránky" ok as title? If not, please tell me the one you want and I can change it accordingly.

HP
miskopo

Post by miskopo »

Yes, now it works great, thank you (only if I click on the IMSLP logo and go directly to address imslp.org/wiki/ there is still EN version, even I am logged in and I've got set language to sk).
The names "Hlavná stránka" and "Mapa stránky" are correct.

I want to ask you, if there is general template for work page, because I can't find it anywhere.
And also, if I use iflang function, if this is also translated in main left menu (f.e. I add iflang translaton of "Select language", but it doesn't appear as "Vybrať jazyk" in menu.)

Thank you again
-------
Miskopo
Hobbypianist
Copyright Reviewer

Post by Hobbypianist »

miskopo wrote:... (only if I click on the IMSLP logo and go directly to address imslp.org/wiki/ there is still EN version, even I am logged in and I've got set language to sk)...
You mean the logo in the left upper corner? I think, it can't be changed...at least I couldn't find a way to do that so far.
miskopo wrote: ..I want to ask you, if there is general template for work page, because I can't find it anywhere...
The work pages are created automatically and added to the corresp. composer's category if you click "Add a piece to this page" and follow the instructions. You mean how to translate the texts on a page? This works via the following MW pages

http://imslp.org/wiki/MediaWiki:FTE:imslppage:Messages
http://imslp.org/wiki/MediaWiki:FTE:imslpfile:Messages
http://imslp.org/wiki/MediaWiki:FTE:person:Messages
http://imslp.org/wiki/MediaWiki:FTE:ims ... y:Messages

For each of them a new version for example "MediaWiki:FTE:imslppage:Messages/sk" has to be created. If you tell us the Slovak translation for each of the words they can be created.
miskopo wrote:..And also, if I use iflang function, if this is also translated in main left menu (f.e. I add iflang translaton of "Select language", but it doesn't appear as "Vybrať jazyk" in menu.)
Now it does.
Some translations are realized with the system Mediawiki texts. For reasons of security they can only be changed by users with corresponding rights. Tell me if you want other texts to appear in Slovak.

For general information about translation see also this page: http://imslp.org/wiki/IMSLP:Internationalization

Regards
HP