General help on the Wiki

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

steltz
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

uploaded recordings with no scores

Post by steltz »

If I remember correctly, IMSLP was only going to host recordings of works where scores were available.

The page Beag Dearg (Bodhipaksha, Kevin) has a recording that was uploaded more than a year ago, and the score has never appeared.

In checking other works by Mr Bodhipaksha, these have no scores either:

3 Airs for Solo Cello (or Viola) with Strings (Bodhipaksha, Kevin)
Cœur qui soupire, Op.6 (Bodhipaksha, Kevin)
Divertimento for String Orchestra (Bodhipaksha, Kevin)
Fanfare for Orchestra, Op.7 (Bodhipaksha, Kevin)
Fantasia for Viola and Piano, Op.1 (Bodhipaksha, Kevin)
4 Rondos for Violin Solo, Op.2 (Bodhipaksha, Kevin)
The Seasons of the Year, Op.8 (Bodhipaksha, Kevin)
String Quintet (Bodhipaksha, Kevin)
String Sextet, Op.5 (Bodhipaksha, Kevin)
Symphony No.2 (Bodhipaksha, Kevin)

In fact, he never uploaded any scores. Should I try to contact him to find out if he ever intends to?

[Edit] Some of the recordings are only excerpts and after some Googling, I found a 14-year old Kevin Bodhipaksha who won a junior strings competition in Phoenix. It is possible given the age, that these works were never completed . . .
bsteltz
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Re: uploaded recordings with no scores

Post by KGill »

I have no recollection of any decision to only allow work pages that had scores uploaded; I'm pretty sure we have dozens without that just have recordings, and officially we're fine with them :wink: :) I think Feldmahler modified the code a while ago (last summer maybe) so that they would not show up in the workpage counts, so no problems there.
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

KGill is correct. There is no restriction apart from the copyright status for both the recording itself and for the underlying work. I uploaded a few recordings myself for works we lacked a score for at the time.
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

And are excerpts-only OK?
bsteltz
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

Only in limited cases - a composer uploading one of his own pieces that was used in a film or which is controlled by a publisher can be uploaded if the excerpt is of reasonable length. No 30-second samplers.
Gesamtkunstwerk

Post by Gesamtkunstwerk »

Hello IMSLP. I am Kevin Bodhipaksha. After reading these posts, I would like to explain a few things:

As it happens, all of the works I have uploaded on IMSLP have been completed. I was aware at the time of uploading them that to submit incomplete works would be senseless. While all these works have been copyrighted and are protected under the Creative Commons license, I decided not to upload complete recordings in the unlikely event that they are violated. I declined to upload their respective scores for the same reasons.

However, as it is pointless to have recordings without scores on IMSLP, I request that my entire composer category page and all the work pages contained therein be removed at once. Thank you for your assistance.
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Post by KGill »

Gesamtkunstwerk wrote:However, as it is pointless to have recordings without scores on IMSLP, I request that my entire composer category page and all the work pages contained therein be removed at once. Thank you for your assistance.
As per your request all of your works have now been deleted.