General help on the Wiki

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

rshann
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Updating a file leads to (B) status

Post by rshann »

I submitted
http://imslp.org/wiki/Pavana_&_Galliard ... ps,_Peter)
a few days ago, and immediately began discovering errors and ommisions.
I didn't find the Update a file option at first and ended up with two versions available.
Then (after joining the forum) I saw instructions about how to get to the Update option, and used that for the latest, (I hope last!) corrected version.
But, this time all the versions have gone back to (B) status, ie pending copyright check I guess.
There must surely be a bug in here somewhere, since adding a corrected version didn't require the (B) status.

Well, apologies for not finding the right route in the first place, (and for not creating the perfect edition in the first place), but can you rectify things?
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Re: Updating a file leads to (B) status

Post by KGill »

This is actually not a bug - files with new versions always revert to U/U/U tagging because the reviewer needs to check if someone other than the original uploader may have submitted copyrighted material over the old file (this has happened before, I think), etc. It's just a small formality, and it's now re-released for access :)
rshann

Post by rshann »

Thank you for your swift action.
I can well understand that a new upload could require quarantine, but when I uploaded a new version via the wrong route (Add File) it was immediately available (or so I thought, perhaps the bug is in my memory :)
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Post by KGill »

rshann wrote:...when I uploaded a new version via the wrong route (Add File) it was immediately available (or so I thought, perhaps the bug is in my memory :)
Well spotted :) but in that case, a new file was not actually uploaded. If you upload a file that has the exact same name as a file already on a given workpage, it will not be transferred from your hard drive; instead, a new entry for the file that was already on the IMSLP server is generated on the page. I'm not totally sure why it works like this but the ability to upload new versions of files probably renders any issues with it moot (since one is recommended to use that route anyway). That's why it seemed to be 'pre-tagged' as !N/!N/!N - the old file had already been released for access. (You can tell if this is the case by checking the little IMSLP# under the download link to a file; in this instance, both file entries were marked as #148215. If a new file had been uploaded then it should have had a higher number than the old one.)
rshann

Post by rshann »

I just downloaded what is up there now and it appears not to be the version uploaded today by me :(
I've just checked on my hard drive and it seems that the correct file is in position (that is, I don't think I could have uploaded a wrong version).
Can you check what has happened please?
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Post by KGill »

rshann wrote:I just downloaded what is up there now and it appears not to be the version uploaded today by me :(
I've just checked on my hard drive and it seems that the correct file is in position (that is, I don't think I could have uploaded a wrong version).
Can you check what has happened please?
If you check back in a couple days it should fix itself. I think this is due to the site's caching, which can take up to 3 days to update (though it is usually shorter).
rshann

Post by rshann »

Thank you - I checked this morning and all is well :)