dual page scanning

General help on the Wiki

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

zarfati
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

dual page scanning

Post by zarfati »

Some pieces r scanned in dual page format so the fist page is next to the last one, the second is enxt to the last but one and so on. This makes it impossible to view the scanned piece continiously directly from the site and requires usually printing it. I wish this kind of scanning would be forbidden.
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Re: dual page scanning

Post by KGill »

Well, the point of that page order is that it can be easily printed in booklet format if you have the right size paper - making them much more convenient to use if you're actually going to perform from them. As opposed to the usual single- or double-sided printing on A4/letter-size pages, which is usually rather cumbersome, you can make your own 'real' score, even 'bind' it with staples if you want. As long as it serves such a purpose, I see no reason for it to be "forbidden".
haydenmuhl
active poster

Post by haydenmuhl »

zarfati, you should also understand that these scores reflect the physical scores they were created from. I can't find the thread, but there was a music publisher that basically donated all their scores to IMSLP, and this was the format that they used, for the reasons KGill has already stated. I understand that this format causes problems for people without access to an A3 printer, but reformatting a publisher's entire catalog would be a substantial amount of work. The alternative would be not having the scores available at all.
Classical Voices - a forum for classical singers
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Post by KGill »

haydenmuhl wrote:I can't find the thread, but there was a music publisher that basically donated all their scores to IMSLP, and this was the format that they used
For reference, that was the reprint-and-Sibelius-engraving house Merton Music: http://imslp.org/wiki/Category:Merton_Parts