General help on the Wiki

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

rhymesandchymes
forum adept
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Vivian Fine Epigram and Epitaph title problem

Post by rhymesandchymes »

The title has quotation marks which I see has put it at the end of the VF composition list instead of under E. Can you take the quotation marks out? I think it's better to sacrifice them than have it out of order. I can put the original title in as an alternate title.
cypressdome
active poster

Re: Vivian Fine Epigram and Epitaph title problem

Post by cypressdome »

Hi rhymesandchymes

I've tried to add a defaultsort template to the work page that should place the work under the letter E on Vivian Fine's page without requiring the work's title to be changed. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be working and now that I've looked at other uses of defaultsort on the wiki they don't seem to be working either. Hopefully, someone with more brains that I can figure out what is going on with defaultsort. If not, the work page can be re-directed to one without the quotation marks.

Cypressdome
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Post by KGill »

The defaultsort template hasn't worked for years - I think it's been brought up before at least a few times, since it is something of an inconvenience. I don't recall at the moment if at any point Feldmahler has indicated that he plans to fix the problem; perhaps it's not easily soluble.
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

KGill is correct about the template. One thing that still works for this purpose is to insert the following at the bottom of the workpage: [[Category:Fine, Vivian|<Title without Quotes>]]. This causes the pages to be sorted in the desired order within the category.
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Post by KGill »

But that still only works for the one category - the real advantage of defaultsort is that you can sort it the same way within all categories the page is put into, without ever having to manually update it. Although the composer category is probably the most important single one in which the sorting should be correct, that still leaves all the instrumentation/work type/language categories, editor/arranger/librettist/translator/performer, etc. So, this is very much a stopgap.