Deactivating IMSLP account

General help on the Wiki

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

Karenyotin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Deactivating IMSLP account

Post by Karenyotin »

Is there a way to deactivate IMSLP account after signing up?
Choralia
Site Admin

Re: Deactivating IMSLP account

Post by Choralia »

Yes, admins may block users.

Accounts are not usually deleted as any contributions provided by the deleted user would remain "orphan" (i.e., without a contributor username associated to them), and this is bad for traceability reasons.

Max
musica-continua

Post by musica-continua »

Sorry, but this is not an acceptable solution.
Choralia
Site Admin

Post by Choralia »

A solution to what problem?
musica-continua

Sorry, I thought it was written ???

The question was to deactivate the imslp account.

It is not possible to remove the own user account. That is like a bad joke. A user should have the right to determine what happens to the datas relating to the person's own. Isn't it this way? What happens here??

I expect that fundamental rights are respected.
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Post by KGill »

As far as I am aware, MediaWiki does not provide any features related to the deactivation of user accounts - though the term 'deactivation' is itself rather vague. To wit, would you like to
---cease editing the wiki and have your account rendered nonfunctional, but keep references to it in page histories, etc.?
---excise all references to your username on the wiki?
---do that on top of undoing each and every contribution you have ever submitted to the wiki?
In fact, none of the above choices is supported by the software. The first choice would probably be accomplished by simply abandoning your account (that is, just stop using it), perhaps scrambling your password or asking an admin to permanently ban you as an additional security measure. The second would require manual editing of the MySQL database using direct server access. And the third would be ludicrously complicated and would probably never happen.
musica-continua wrote:It is not possible to remove the own user account. That is like a bad joke. A user should have the right to determine what happens to the datas relating to the person's own. Isn't it this way? What happens here??

I expect that fundamental rights are respected.
Well, last time I checked, I couldn't find the clause in the Geneva Convention that specified the protocol for removal of a pseudonymous free account on a private website, but I guess you'd know better than I.
Choralia
Site Admin

Post by Choralia »

musica-continua wrote:A user should have the right to determine what happens to the datas relating to the person's own.
Please just replace with fake information any personal information that you voluntarily entered in your user profile. Please note that usernames, email addresses, IP addresses, and so on, cannot usually be regarded as "personal information" in the IMSLP context as there is no way for IMSLP users/administrators to identify the physical person who actually makes use of them.

Please also note that, whenever a page on the IMSLP wiki is created or edited, the following text is shown:
Please note that all contributions to IMSLP are considered to be released under the GNU Free Documentation License 1.3 or later. If you don't want your writing to be edited mercilessly and redistributed at will, then don't submit it here.
So, if you contributed to any pages on the IMSLP wiki, you granted a world-wide, royalty-free license, unlimited in duration, to use your contribution under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License. In order to trace contributions and therefore apply the provisions of the GNU Free Documentation License a logical link between each contribution and the corresponding user account is obviously necessary, and this is the reason why user accounts should not be normally deleted.

Max
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

Choralia wrote:Accounts are not usually deleted as any contributions provided by the deleted user would remain "orphan" (i.e., without a contributor username associated to them), and this is bad for traceability reasons.
I think a user should be allowed to delete his account at least if there hasn't been any contribution by him. Otherwise if a user has chosen a "beautiful" username and is no longer interested by imslp other new users will be prevented from creating an account with the same "beautiful" username. :-)
Choralia
Site Admin

Post by Choralia »

Extensions of the MediaWiki software exist, which allow to rename or delete an existing user, as well as to merge multiple users into one. For example, these extensions are installed on the CPDL wiki, while they are not currently installed on the IMSLP wiki. User contributions, if existing, are re-assigned accordingly. If I correctly remember, contributions relevant to a deleted user (not renamed or merged with another user) are automatically associated to the IP address that originated the contribution, without any actual username. However, the use of such functions should be very occasional in order to maintain the traceability of contributions, and it is normally reserved to users having administrator rights in order to prevent the total wiki chaos... :)

Max
musica-continua

Hi,

[quote="KGill"]Well, last time I checked, I couldn't find the clause in the Geneva Convention that specified the protocol for removal of a pseudonymous free account on a private website, but I guess you'd know better than I.[/quote]

Sorry, out of topic.

My reaction about the rest of the discussion:

Kopfschüttel

m-c