General help on the Wiki

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

coulonnus
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

"unediting" an edition.

Post by coulonnus »

I am working on the scan of this Cotta's edition on this page: http://imslp.org/wiki/Piano_Sonata_No.2 ... _Ladislav). I like the engraving in general but I am deleting all fingerings, pedalling and other signs that the Breitkopf doesn't have because to me, they make this Sonata more difficult than it already is. The fingerings prevent me from putting my own etc.

Is there an imslp interest for such an "edition of an edition" or do we already have enough "questionable editions"?

Some of you will say I'd better retypeset the Breitkopf edition. And I won't finish the toil of deleting all Cotta's additional slurs. :-(
Carolus
Site Admin

Re: "unediting" an edition.

Post by Carolus »

I suppose the question is whether it would take you less time to make a new typeset or strip away all of the accretions added by Cotta's editor. Sometimes, it takes less time to engrave fresh. At other times, stripping away the junk works best - especially if you have an excellent scan of an excellent engraving/layout. You seem to be a fairly accomplished engraver, so it's really your call - but yes, we always like to have nice clean editions along with the older over-edited ones.
coulonnus
active poster

Re: "unediting" an edition.

Post by coulonnus »

Done, thanks. A typesetting would have taken about 2-3 weeks.