can't submit edit

General help on the Wiki

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

BarneyFiver
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: can't submit edit

Post by BarneyFiver »

I solved the problem, I can now save my edits. :)

Safari was set to block "comment boxes", and this was preventing the "I am not a robot" captcha from appearing (even though it's not a comment box). The "type the two words you see into the box below" still appears in all its irrelevancy and incorrectness, but the captcha is just a simple checkmark box, no screwy word images, no text-entry box to type anything in.

I'm glad the captcha won't last long, though. It's still a hassle because it's odd that the captcha doesn't appear next to the Save button at the bottom but clear on the opposite end of the page at the top, so you have to scroll back and forth a couple times.
MandyShaw

Post by MandyShaw »

I am really struggling with the captcha. I have a repetitive task to change the copyright information on just over 200 works. I am finding that it is actually taking longer to do the captcha than to identify, paste, and save the rest of the changes. This is not helped by a) my poor eyesight, b) the frequent appearance of apparently corrupted/illegible images on the captcha, c) the need to scroll back and forth to process the captcha. I know I could use the audio captcha but that takes even longer in practice. I am finding that the captcha doesn't trigger on my first few edits per day, but that's not really the answer from my perspective. Any advice gratefully received.
Last edited by MandyShaw on Wed Aug 16, 2023 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sallen112
active poster

Post by Sallen112 »

Why do you have to do Captcha on your edits?
MandyShaw

Post by MandyShaw »

I don't know, if I knew how to switch it off I would do so!
MandyShaw

Post by MandyShaw »

One or two of my edits seem to bypass the captcha, just letting me tick the 'not a robot' box, but the vast majority don't. I can't see what the difference is.
BarneyFiver

Post by BarneyFiver »

On a new account, after you do a number of edits, the captcha isn't supposed to appear anymore, because the system then trusts you. However, I don't know how many edits you have to make before it no longer captchas you.
MandyShaw

Post by MandyShaw »

BarneyFiver wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:45 pm On a new account, after you do a number of edits, the captcha isn't supposed to appear anymore, because the system then trusts you. However, I don't know how many edits you have to make before it no longer captchas you.
This morning I did 10 edits in quick succession, with no image captcha triggered, then on the 11th up it came.
I've done well over 200 edits now in the last 3 days, including a PDF upload, and the image captcha is still appearing.