Typo in a composer's page.

Any posts related to the categorization and standardization of IMSLP

Moderators: vinteuil, Davydov

Omicronrg9
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Typo in a composer's page.

Post by Omicronrg9 »

Hi all. Hope this is the right category to post this: I was about to upload an arrangement for accordion(s) of a piece made by Jaime Texidor and noticed this typo in the category name. Here's the link: https://imslp.org/wiki/Category:Teixidor,_Jamie

It should be either Jaime or Jaume, not Jamie. I tried to change it myself but couldn't... In fact it seems logical that I cannot.

Thanks in advance,
Daniel–Ømicrón.
Sallen112
active poster

Re: Typo in a composer's page.

Post by Sallen112 »

Its fine, those names are considered alternates of the same composer according to his wikipedia page.
Omicronrg9

Post by Omicronrg9 »

But I don't see "Jamie" in his wikipedia page, not even in the English one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaime_Teixidor
I only see "Jaime" and "Jaume". Jamie isn't a Spanish name, and he was born in Cataluña; this is clearly a typo.

Kind regards.
Sallen112
active poster

Post by Sallen112 »

The supporting links at the bottom of Wikipedia (ISNI), has both "Jamie" and "Jaime". It seems like this person has gone by many different alternate names so the category name is fine as is.
Omicronrg9

Post by Omicronrg9 »

You mean here? ISNI

I did some research. From all the sources listed in ISNI, the only one that points Jaime incorrectly as "Jamie" (he never went under such name in life, obviously) is this. After looking through that page I looked into the source of the source and ended up in the 2001 JwPepper cover that contains the original typo. You can check it is indeed a typo, as the the very own thumbnail of the book cover has "Jaime" in it, whi;e the the title in the webpage is misspelt as "Jamie"; understandable since "Jamie" is a variant of "James" in anglophone countries, but wrong in this case anyway.

Additionally, and in order not to open another post and perhaps cause avoidable clutter, may I ask what I should do in order to upload the arrangement that you reviewed? I think I should create my own category first (?) but in all honesty I am not sure after reading points 3 and 10, and I don't want to mess up anything again.

Thanks in advance,
Daniel–Ømicrón.
Sallen112
active poster

Post by Sallen112 »

So if you read point No.10, you indeed have to create your own category page under your name if you want your typeset online here.

And once again my point stands as the sources indicate many alternates names or varients of the same name, so its fine as it is. Unless maybe the heir of the composer came along and gave us birth certificate evidence, then maybe we will change it.
Omicronrg9

Post by Omicronrg9 »

As any Spanish person could tell you, there are only two variants of the name here as you can, once again, read (It is just repeated many times with or without mentioning one or two surnames, which have ): the Catalan one and the Spanish one, Jaume and Jaime, correspondingly, but hey, if after all the info I provided and that I presume you checked, essentially pointing where and when exactly the original typo was originated, you still think that there's some "point" you can stand in like if this was a discussion of sorts and not a report of an obvious mistake commited by a single website and propagated across others, including this one, then sorry, I beg you pardon as I mistook this place for a more serious one.

"Unless maybe the heir of the composer came along and gave us birth certificate evidence, then maybe we will change it." Maybe? What? Face-palm. Catalogue of works from Jaime Ignacio Teixidor Dalmau from the Spanish national library Not a single Jamie in his works, not even in the cover of the book sold by the only website that calls him "Jamie" as you, at least, should have checked.

So yeah, what a loss of time. :|
DBMiller
active poster

Post by DBMiller »

Sam, we generally list people under the LOC names, and there is no reason to use a typo listed as an alternate name. These are common and everything I can see lists his name as the Spanish "Jaime", including his LOC listing. So I have put him as "Teixidor, Jaime" (which is how he is on WP). "Texidor" is also used, though. Anyway, we do not need people's birth certificates to correct actual typos.
Omicronrg9

Post by Omicronrg9 »

Thank you for the fix, really.

One very last question if possible. I am about to try uploading the arrangement of one of his works again (for 4 accordions), and since he died in 1957 I probably should tag it as non-public domain. However, there's a lot of possibilities in CC licenses that I apparently can choose. I am going with the most restrictive CC one, is it alright?

Kind regards,
Daniel–Ømicrón.

---

He is PD in Canada. If you are uploading an existing work he wrote, then you must choose "Public Domain". You can only choose a CC license *with respect to your arrangement specifically*, if *you* made the arrangement. (I would also strongly recommend against choosing the most restrictive CC licenses because these make the files effectively useless.)
Sallen112
active poster

Post by Sallen112 »

So I want to apologize a little bit, I didn't realize that there are actually two versions of "Jaime" and "Jamie" and I thought it didn't matter which version to choose in this case.

"Jamie" is a Unisex name actually that both Boys and Girls use. But "Jaime" is a Spanish or Portuguese version of the same name. As I said about variant or versions of the same name, while LOC does list "Jaime" as the one that is listed the most, it DOES list "Jamie" as well as a "Variant" which is why I left it as is originally.

But because of the insistence of this user wanting it changed to "Jaime" in a Spanish Speaking Country, it doesn't really matter that much overall because when you search for the composer name, the alternate names will be caught within the algorithm anyway with that name coming up. So while it may be a Typo in a Spanish speaking country, it may not be in another, maybe in an English Speaking Country (which IMSLP main language we follow for the site is in English).
DBMiller
active poster

Post by DBMiller »

English is the main language for the site, but people's names should generally be written in the form of their original language, not translated to English equivalents, except when they did this themselves (e.g., George Frideric Handel).