Flags for Manuscripts and Score Only

Any posts related to the categorization and standardization of IMSLP

Moderators: vinteuil, Davydov

sonnichs
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Flags for Manuscripts and Score Only

Post by sonnichs »

I spend considerable time downloading works only to find that they are manuscripts, or scores only without parts. While manuscripts are a much appreciated and valuable source of reference our ensemble finds that most are not useful for playing from.

I was wondering if the capability exists to flag a search as non-manuscript/manuscript-only?
Also a score-only flag would be useful.

This would save considerable time especially when servers are slow or the download large.

Cheers
Fritz
Davydov
Copyright Reviewer

Re: Flags for Manuscripts and Score Only

Post by Davydov »

Do you mean that the files you're downloading aren't correctly labelled as manuscripts or as having parts? If so then maybe you could let us know which ones are affected so that we can correct this.

Incidentally, If you're looking specifically for scores with parts, then our category Pages with parts will bring up a long list that you can sort or narrow down further by clicking on the "Category Walker" link near the top of that page.
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

Just to carry on a bit from Davydov's post, an example of what a page with parts should look like is here: 3 String Quintets, B.277-279 (Pleyel, Ignace Joseph). You will notice it has a header that says "Parts" and it is this header which brings it up on the page of music with parts.

As to the manuscript issue, you will find an example here: Cello Concerto, Hob.VIIb:5, C Major (Haydn, Joseph), where you find that the very first edition on the page says "manuscript" under the publisher info. I don't think there's a special category for these, but you can find it in the publisher info. You shouldn't have to download the actual music to find out what is manuscript, but you will have to click on the page to have a look what editions are there. Incidentally, a flag for searching that leaves out manuscripts would also leave out any work for which one edition was manuscript but others weren't, for instance, the Haydn example above. So it's better to have a full list, but just check the publisher info.

A lot of people who upload parts to IMSLP don't always give the most complete information, so it's up to other people to "catch and correct". As Davydov said, if you post when you find something wrong, it will be corrected
bsteltz
vinteuil
Groundskeeper
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by vinteuil »

Actually, there is a category "Manuscripts"
Formerly known as "perlnerd666"
Davydov
Copyright Reviewer

Post by Davydov »

perlnerd666 wrote:Actually, there is a category "Manuscripts"
Yes, but usually manuscripts are found on the same page as ordinary scores, so using the category walker to hide pages in the manuscript category would block all these perfectly good scores as well (as Steltz pointed out above). I think the initial poster downloaded what appeared to be ordinary scores, only to find that they were manuscripts that weren't identified as such, and that can be easily fixed when we know where to look.
BKhon

Post by BKhon »

Is there a section for musicological documents, such as letters? I mentioned this in a previous post, and I still think it would be fabulous to have scans of original letters written by composers, and have a category for it in the walker.
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Post by KGill »

Already have it - http://imslp.org/wiki/Category:Correspondence
We don't have much that would fit into it, though.
BKhon

Post by BKhon »

I'm the one that uploaded that too, so apparently it's not a popular practice :). I don't see why not though. Anyway, carry on without my digressions... ;)
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

I've been wondering if we need to set up a template and corresponding category for composer's autographs (to separate them from the general category of "manuscripts"). As things stand, one has to upload a file as a "Manuscript Scan" in order for it to appear in the Manuscript catgeory. There are lots of things in there which are not manuscripts (like early printed editions) and lots of things not appearing there which should. There's also the issue of publishers who reproduced scores and parts from a professional copyist's manuscript, and the "facsimile editions" (of composers' manuscripts) which appear from time to time.