Any posts related to the categorization and standardization of IMSLP

Moderators: vinteuil, Davydov

steltz
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Maylath/Hackh method is currently under Eberhard

Post by steltz »

The Maylath/Hackh Grand Conservatory Method for Piano is currently under an editor's name, Eberhard. While Maylath and Hackh took works by other composer, theirs is at least the original compilation -- the choice of works were theirs, not Eberhard's. Eberhard did an edition, and may have done a translation from German as well, but the "composer" needs to be Maylath and Hackh.

I can change this, but I'm not sure how to do two authors. The same will apply, if anyone ever uploads it, to the original Taffanel/Gaubert Methode for flute.
bsteltz
Eric
active poster

Re: Maylath/Hackh method is currently under Eberhard

Post by Eric »

ah, sorry about that, was careless. one puts it under one composer and then does Category: the other. I can find other works actually by Eberhard at LoC without much difficulty I think so will do so promptly...
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

This was on Hackh's page, so I've just changed the particulars, but I also want to get it on Maylath's page now. Is it preferable to link (if so, how?), or is it better to create a separate work page within Maylath's works?

Finally, this isn't yet showing on Eberhard's page as an edition. How do I do that?
bsteltz
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

if I understand the question and I am not sure I do...
to put something in two composer categories and it's already in one-
look at Orgelstucke moderner Meister von Diebold for a work that's under many categories (edit and check all the category placements) for some examples as to how it's done...

To put something in Category:Eberhard, Ernst/ editor, go to the file area (not the main workpage area) of the method and enter {{LinkEd|Ernst|Eberhard}} next to Editor=
(optionally: (birthdate – deathdate) , no spaces in parens
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

Thanks for that. I've got the editor thing sorted.

Since this isn't a collection with items that can be identified as one or the other composer, I created a page for it on Maylath's page as well, with each page showing the other guy as the co-author.

Hope this is OK.
bsteltz
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Post by KGill »

In these cases, the best procedure is usually to only have one page for the work, but list it under both composers - this can be done by adding [[Category:Maylath, Henry]] (for instance) to the very bottom of the page, outside of the template. (In this instance, I [arbitrarily] chose to put the page under Hackh, since he's the first one listed on the cover.) I realize that it doesn't quite solve the problem of 'equal authorship' - it implies that one person is the 'main author' - but there is still ample precedent for it across the site.