Any posts related to the categorization and standardization of IMSLP

Moderators: vinteuil, Davydov

Bombarde16
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Combining search parameters?

Post by Bombarde16 »

Greetings all.

Is there a way to combine search parameters? I notice that individual composer pages will sort by genre or instrumentation (using what appears to be an "intersect" command) but I wondered if there were a more general way to combine multiple parameters. Specifically, combining instrumentation and historical period.

Thanks,
RCH
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Re: Combining search parameters?

Post by pml »

The Category Walker can be run across any combination of any categories present on the wiki, so sure, instrumentation and one of the seven loosely-defined “eras” is possible — and relatively easy. From the “Work genre” page probably its easiest to start by choosing your basic over-arching instrumentation category that you wish to investigate, clicking on “walk”, and then on the next page use “restrict to” on the particular era category you want to delve into (these will normally appear on the category walker page between the instrumental listings and composer listings under the heading “Period”).

For example, the page Special:CategoryWalker/For piano/ lists five of the seven categories (there isn’t a lot of Medieval or Renaissance music for piano, strangely!):

Romantic: 6439
Early 20th century: 1361
Classical: 788
Modern: 737
Baroque: 61

Cheers, Philip
--
PML (talk)
Bombarde16

Post by Bombarde16 »

Precisely what I was looking for. Thanks.
RCH
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Post by pml »

Wow! An entire month went by. Glad to be of help!

Cheers, Philip
--
PML (talk)