Any posts related to the categorization and standardization of IMSLP

Moderators: vinteuil, Davydov

NLewis
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Stravinsky

Post by NLewis »

I'm currently working on a composition list for Igor Stravinsky, and there is no existing catalog of Stravinsky's works as far as I can tell. Does anyone know of one? I'm aware of a book by Eric Walker White, written in 1969, called Stravinsky the Composer and his Works. It seems to put the works in some order, but it's far from a catalog. There exist 7/9 opus numbers from when Stravinsky was under his studies with Korsakov (Opp. 5 & 8 were ditched by Stravinsky). I was wondering if people would be opposed to creating a catalog specific to IMSLP.

In addition, I do plan on including Stravinsky's arrangements (like his WtC arrangements of 1969) for completeness sake.
panda
forum adept
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Re: Stravinsky

Post by panda »

The music of Stravinsky by Stephen Walsh has what seems to be a good chronological list although it's not a full catalogue. It acknowledges its debt to White's book and updates some of the datings.
NLewis
active poster

Post by NLewis »

I agree, the Stephen Walsh book is an excellent source. Richard Taruskin has his frequent disagreements with him though! Especially regarding when Stravinsky entered his neoclassical era. It has a good chronological listing, but it's not a full catalog, and certainly isn't numbered, which is what we are looking for on IMSLP.
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

Have you seen the Grove article?
NLewis
active poster

Post by NLewis »

No, but I'm now discovering there is a catalog used for Stravinsky which is in another Wikipedia language:

http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oeuvre_van_Igor_Stravinsky

It even has articles on most of the works. Frankly, I'm somewhat angry about this. It's based on Eric Walter White's numbering. I hate the atrocious organization of Wikipedia. It's really awful IMHO.

We can use his catalog, but it suffers from major problems as far as I can tell. They don't appear to be in order of date in certain parts.
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

I would avoid using any catalogs on Wikipedia for anything more than a cursory look. The Grove article is also by Walsh, and it appears to be a pretty good catalog. It would be a good starting, if not end place for this function.
NLewis
active poster

Post by NLewis »

We'll see where this goes. I'm a little miffed that there are discrepencies between list of works I was using and the catalog by White. Especially with regards to ordering! It says the Firebird was published in 1908. I'm very cautious of this catalog, Daphnis, but it does have some useful information such as instrumentation for certain pieces. Right now I'm going to do what's obvious and then go back to do the possibly erroneous publications and do some extra research for the date they were actually published. Firebird was not published in 1908 unless I'm very misguided.
Melodia
active poster

Post by Melodia »

Grove articles are usually pretty sucky, and not comprehensive enough, not to mention hard to read.

Wikiepdia ones are often pretty good, it just depends on if someone decided to work on it well, and/or if there's an easy to access soruce.

I also recommend this book: http://www.amazon.com/Capo-Catalog-Clas ... 306807017/
It's a fantastic listing of 132 composers (with an unfortunate slight Polish bias, so it has Bacewitz, Pedrewsky, and Szymanowski but no Walton or some others).

Unfortunetly the Stravinsky entry is from three sources from 1948, 1957, and 1972 but the author uses Grove to suppliment too and though there's a lot of mistakes and ommissions, it's still extremely worthwhile in an easy to grasp, mostly consistent, format.
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

White's book came out in an expanded edition in 1979 (ISBN 052039831). You can probably find a used copy at a very reasonable price since many libraries seem to be eliminating copies of books like these from their holdings and selling them off. There's also a little catalog of published items by Dominique-René de Lerma (Kent State University Press, 1974). Both might be of some assistance. There are some publication date tricks afoot with several works, notably Histoire du soldat. The usual game is to claim separate publication dates for vocal scores or arrangements and full scores, with the full scores coming later (despite the fact that the arrangement was a clearly derivative of the full score in many cases). I only recently confirmed for certain that there is indeed an extant 1914 print of the vocal score for his early opera Le rossignol, for example.
NLewis
active poster

Post by NLewis »

Interestingly enough I found excellent resources in the WIkipedia pages in every language except English! I also ended up finding this website, which is incredibly useful:

http://www.fondation-igor-stravinsky.or ... tique.html