Any posts related to the categorization and standardization of IMSLP

Moderators: vinteuil, Davydov

icactus
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Creating Admin Tools area

Post by icactus »

So it seems there is an interest in creating a more simple way for new users to figure out how to submit scores and get involved. Separately there seems to be an equal interest in not changing too much so admins and CRs can find all the information they're looking for.

Sooooo, I created a new box on the Contributor Portal title "Handy Admin Tools" where I thought it would be a good idea to collect all the things that admins and CRs like the way they like them. That way we can keep that separate from the information we want Jane and Johnny Scanner to read when they come across IMSLP. I've already added a historic preservation version of the "public domain" page and the links to the two guides for Admin and CRs.

I'd encourage you to fill that up with other links to important resource pages or to make new special "admin-friendly" versions of pages so that we can try to stream-line the regular pages into more user-friendly versions without taking out something valuable to Admins and CRs.
icactus
active poster

Re: Creating Admin Tools area

Post by icactus »

with that, i'd like to ask if there's any reason the "list of PD composers in CA not PD in US or EU" is still on the Public Domain page when the category walker can produce it on demand... If it's just a relic I'd like to delete it and the templates from the page average users see but if there's some admin use for it you can leave it on the "admin" version of the page. (It's titled "Public Domain Tools" here: http://imslp.org/wiki/Public_domain_tools")

The composers entering public domain in the next few years could go but I can see how that would be interesting for the average user sort of as a preview for whats to come.
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Post by KGill »

icactus wrote:i'd like to ask if there's any reason the "list of PD composers in CA not PD in US or EU" is still on the Public Domain page when the category walker can produce it on demand...
I think this is a holdover from when we didn't have the necessary categories to do that; I agree that it can be removed. Perhaps it could be replaced by a link to the CW intersect necessary to produce those results?
The composers entering public domain in the next few years could go but I can see how that would be interesting for the average user sort of as a preview for whats to come.
While this isn't really 'necessary', I don't see what's wrong with having it :)
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

icactus wrote:The composers entering public domain in the next few years could go but I can see how that would be interesting for the average user sort of as a preview for whats to come.
The main use for that is that people can start collecting things to scan. If I remember correctly, the policy was to allow uploads in the last couple of months before a composer goes PD so that on 1 January, they can be simultaneously unblocked.

For that reason, I think it should stay so that people can think ahead and prepare.
bsteltz
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

steltz wrote:If I remember correctly, the policy was to allow uploads in the last couple of months before a composer goes PD so that on 1 January, they can be simultaneously unblocked.
This is correct. Six months is the period we've been using. So, anyone wishing to upload Percy Grainger - who will enter Canada's public domain on 1/1/2012 - can do so now. That's the main reason for keeping that list of 'upcoming attractions for the public domain' as I see it.