Moderators: vinteuil, Davydov

steltz
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Beethoven, alphabetization of works starting with "Das"

Post by steltz »

The following four works are under "D":

Das Geheimnis, WoO 145 (Beethoven, Ludwig van)
Das Glück der Freundschaft, Op.88 (Beethoven, Ludwig van)
Das Reden, WoO 168b (Beethoven, Ludwig van)
Das Schweigen, WoO 168a (Beethoven, Ludwig van)

How does one force them to alphabetize under the next word?
bsteltz
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Re: Beethoven, alphabetization of works starting with "Das"

Post by pml »

If {{DEFAULTSORT}} is working, then you’d add some wiki text to the page, e.g. {{DEFAULTSORT:Geheimnis, WoO 145 (Beethoven, Ludwig van)}} which sorts under G rather than Das (and likewise for the other cases). This applies the sorting key to every category simultaneously.

{{DEFAULTSORT}} may not be working, in which case, add a custom category tag to the page with the sorting variable after the category: [[Category:Beethoven, Ludwig van|Geheimnis, WoO 145 (Beethoven, Ludwig van)]]

This sort of category sorting can only re-sort one category at a time — as most pages are categorised by dozens of categories, the work will still be mis-sorted in all of the other categories.

Cheers, Philip
--
PML (talk)
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

OK, I tried the default sort, but it doesn't seem to work, and I've tried it in three places -- above the "{{#fte:imslppage", just below it, and at the bottom of the page under "| *****END OF TEMPLATE***** }}"

Where should it go?
bsteltz
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

If all titles beginning with "Das" should disregard "Das" when sorting, the best way is to tell me and I will add it to the code, which will then automatically sort it correctly. This goes for all language particles at the beginning, with the only exception where the word is a particle in one language but a substantive word in another. (Not sure if I used the word "particle" correctly, but you get my gist.)