Any posts related to the categorization and standardization of IMSLP

Moderators: vinteuil, Davydov

steltz
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Holbrooke op. 6b, Andante and Presto vs Adagio and Rondo

Post by steltz »

I downloaded the Adagio and Rondo thinking it was a different piece, but found it is the Andante and Presto op.6b. I found on a website listing Holbrooke's pieces (not Grove, so I don't know how authoritative) that op.6 is a violin sonata. I have requested the violin sonata in Score Requests, but my questions is this:

If Holbrooke did a straight transcription of two movements that in one work are called "Adagio and Rondo"", but renamed the piece "Andante and Presto", then gave it the same opus number with a "b" suffix, which title should it get as the clarinet piece? Actually, I'm not sure Holbrooke gave it that number, since it doesn't appear on the clarinet piece at all. (I still need to see the Violn Sonata to verify that it did come from there.)

In any case Adagio and Rondo are movement indications, not the original title (which is Violin Sonata).
bsteltz
steltz
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Holbrooke op. 6b, Andante and Presto vs Adagio and Rondo

Post by steltz »

I made one mistake here -- Holbrooke did use "Op.6 no.2", but I think the "Op.6b" comes from the List of Complete Works by Josef Holbrooke, which IMSLP has, though I don't know who compiled the book (published Goodwin & Tabb, London).

The entry looks something like this (though I can't get the spacing right because all extra spaces are ignored):

Op.6 a) Violin and Piano Sonatina. 1907. (Roy) J. Larway & Sons.
b) Clarinet & piano duet. Hawkes & Son.
c) (Scherzo. & Rondo Violin & piano separate.) J. Larway & Sons.
From No 1.

To me the "From No 1." indicates that Op.6c is from no.1 (i.e. Op.6a), but that would imply that Op.6b isn't necessarily, and listening to CD samplers (only 15 seconds long) seems to support this, though there are a lot of similarities between the Scherzo and the Presto (both in 3/4, similar types of figuration). Possibly op.6b was movements that didn't make it into the Sonatina and Holbrooke decided to use them for something else.

At this point, since the words Adagio and Rondo do come from the Sonatina, but don't appear to be the same music, I think the clarinet piece should be renamed to Andante and Presto, op.6 no.2 (from the actual music, not the catalogue).

Any other opinions before I change it?
bsteltz