Any posts related to the categorization and standardization of IMSLP

Moderators: vinteuil, Davydov

Starrmark
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Sets of orchestral parts

Post by Starrmark »

A considerable annoyance, and an unnecessary one, is frequently encountered when one wishes to download a large set of orchestral parts. For many orchestral works, each part has been posted separately and must be downloaded separately. I am not suggesting that parts should not be posted separately, for those who wish to download one instrumental part. However, I think in all cases there should also be another, optional link that downloads the complete set of parts. There are many works on IMSLP that have several dozen separate orchestral parts, with no link to download the complete set. In cases of very large scores, this can mean a half-hour (or more) of manual downloading for the user. It's an unnecessary waste of time -- if only the score had contained an optional link to download the entire set of parts with one click. Even if all the parts had to be combined into one or two huge PDF files, that would be an improvement.

MS
Rob Peters
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Sets of orchestral parts

Post by Rob Peters »

I don't think separate uploads for combined sets of parts would be a good idea since it doubles the server load.
And even downloading, say 30 individual parts shoulding take too long. Just configure Firefox (or whatever browser you use) so that clicked pdf's get downloaded automatically (in Firefox, it's tools > options > applications). That way you can just click the links in rapid succession, shouldn't take more than a minute.
Melodia
active poster

Re: Sets of orchestral parts

Post by Melodia »

Or even better, install a plugin like DownLoadThemAll.