Any posts related to the categorization and standardization of IMSLP

Moderators: vinteuil, Davydov

rkram53
regular poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Collections of different composers works and anonymous works

Post by rkram53 »

I want to make a collected edition I thought would be interesting of different Baroque preludes in the style of Bach's WTC #I, Book I (there are many) that will include a number of different composers. Where exactly would I put such a thing on IMSLP? I can tag it: |Page Type=Collection as I've read, but it's not clear who it gets created under (me? as editor). Same kind of question for arrangements of anon. works. If I arrange an anonymous work, do I put it under me and note it is anon.?
thanks
cypressdome
active poster

Re: Collections of different composers works and anonymous w

Post by cypressdome »

For a collection that includes the works of more than one composer you would add the work under the Various category (found near the top of the listing for the composer category). The tag |Page Type=Collection would only be used for a collection consisting of the works of a single composer. In the case of a multi-composer collection you would add after the last }} at the end of the work page template a line for each composer represented in the collection in this format: {{ColCat|Firstname|Lastname}}. You can see this in action by editing a page such as the Fitzwilliam Virginal Book. This will add a link to this page under the collection section of each of the composers.

For an arrangement of an anonymous work normally the work would be added under the Anonymous category (also found near the top of the listing for the composer category). Then you would add the necessary arrangement tabs for your version. Within the last few months I do recall seeing some arrangements by currently living people of anonymous works being placed under the arranger's own category. I believe this may have been due to a copyright issue. You may want to check with either Carolus or P.davydov to clarify this.

Cypressdome
Davydov
Copyright Reviewer

Re: Collections of different composers works and anonymous w

Post by Davydov »

cypressdome wrote:For an arrangement of an anonymous work normally the work would be added under the Anonymous category (also found near the top of the listing for the composer category). Then you would add the necessary arrangement tabs for your version. Within the last few months I do recall seeing some arrangements by currently living people of anonymous works being placed under the arranger's own category. I believe this may have been due to a copyright issue. You may want to check with either Carolus or P.davydov to clarify this.
Yes, there has been a change. Arrangements of anonymous works should now go under the name of the arranger, as this is where the copyright is vested.