steltz
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Dunstaple, O Rosa Bella

Post by steltz »

I am trying to re-tag this:

http://imslp.org/wiki/O_rosa_bella_(Dun ... MSLP260114

Grove classifies it as a "modified ballata" and there is actually a tag for ballatas, so that part is fine.

The problem is in the number of voices -- Grove says "3-6", but it doesn't seem to be a larger work with different songs/arias for different numbers. The article on ballata mentions sections, and I suppose the different sections could be sung by different numbers of singers, but that's an assumption that may not be correct.

In any case, there are 9 lines in the Denkmäler edition, though three of them say "Concordantiae ut posuit Bedingham". The reference to Bedingham is that the work is "more plausibly attrib. Bedyngham; exceptionally widely copied and recomposed".

I don't think the "ch" tag is right, but I don't know quite what it should be. Help?
bsteltz
Davydov
Copyright Reviewer
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Dunstaple, O Rosa Bella

Post by Davydov »

Hi Steltz. The note at the bottom of the "Denkmäler der Tonkunst" score says something to the effect that six different combinations of voices have been added to the original three. The other score (by Elaine FIne) also has three parts, while the RISM link is unclear("V, i (2)" !)

In view of this, I'd recommend "3vv ; 6vv ; ch" to cover all the main possibilities.
Notenschreiber
active poster

Re: Dunstaple, O Rosa Bella

Post by Notenschreiber »

V means vocal voice, i instrumental voice, so we have three voices all together.