12 Canons, ULB Mus.Ms.1454 (Martín y Soler, Vicente)

Any posts related to the categorization and standardization of IMSLP

Moderators: vinteuil, Davydov

dwscores
regular poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

12 Canons, ULB Mus.Ms.1454 (Martín y Soler, Vicente)

Post by dwscores »

http://imslp.org/index.php?title=12_Can ... ,_Vicente)

I have listed this for 3 unspecified voices because I can't make out the clefs in the file. It looks like soprano clefs if I squint, but then so does everything else... :lol:

Also, I have listed the keyboard part for unspecified keyboard. This should probably be changed to harpsichord, but not being a handwriting analyst I can't make out if it is the composers' hand who added the pf suggestion with different pen. Given the time period it is not inconceivable that it was the composer and the handwriting appears similar (again, when I squint).
Davydov
Copyright Reviewer
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: 12 Canons, ULB Mus.Ms.1454 (Martín y Soler, Vicente)

Post by Davydov »

The RISM catalogue at opac.rism.info can be helpful in identifying the original instrumentation in such cases. The 12 canons making up this work are listed there by their individual titles, and they indicate that this particular manuscript is an arrangement for harpsichord of a work that was originally for voices. This is backed up by the note on the first page of the manuscript, "Arrang. pour Clavi-Cembalo par Mr Schweizer". Someone else has crossed out "Clavi-Cembalo" and overwritten it with "Chitarra" and "Pianoforte", but I would disregard this because it doesn't affect the instrumentation.

In view of all that, I've marked the existing score as an arrangement, and altered the original tags to "canons ; 3vv ; it". Incidentally, the language tag ("it" = Italian) is essential for any vocal or literary work.